• In the Spotlight:

im very concern for my friends baby

my friends baby is breastfed he spits up and gasps for air real bad is this normal. at all....my daughter didnt do this at all when i was breast feeding her...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• spit up is normal.
    gasps how? like gasp after gasp after gasp?? in a row???

or every once in a while takes a deep breathe while breastfeeding?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• IDK, maybe have your friend ask her pedi about acid reflux. that might be causing the excess spit up and gasping.

but try to remember that each baby is different
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• A lot of times the description you gave shows an oversupply situation. It usually occurs when the milk is coming so fast which causes baby to spit up and gasp. Check out this article and pass it along to your friend. This is especially common in the first few weeks of baby's life because your body is still adjusting to produce what baby needs, no more and no less. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 3:24 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• my daughter always had projectile vommit after i breastfed her, from birth to about 4 months. When I started her on cereal/jar foods...she got better with breastmilk. I found that supplementing with formula too helped her. It was crazy and sometimes very scary. Caused breathing problems and choking. It's called, Reflux. As long as her baby is wetting and pooping her diapers and gaining weight she'll be fine once she starts solids...(my own opinion from my experience)
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 6:38 PM on Dec. 15, 2008