Why do my kids get kick out of "play dates" ?

well, now I know why the neighbors kept sending the kids home, saying they were busy or were about to go out. I had a feeling they just didn't want them over there.

They were finally allowed to play over there and were sent home only 20 minutes later. From what I piece together from the kids story was that DD (8) kept asking for drinks & snacks and DS (12) kept whinning and complaining and has a mini fit when it began to rain and was told to go home. (he has Asperger's so that explains some of it, but still....)

Although, could it be my fault? They ask me for drinks & snacks all day long and I usually give it too them. Maybe It got to be a habit so I should end that and put them on a schedule? If they're not begging me, maybe they won't do it to others? I don't know.

Not sure what to do now. Dh told them they couldn't go back there again, but I don't think he needed to bother, I don't think they'll be invited back. It's a real shame too cause they're out of friends. It really sucks.

No one says anything to me either so I never get the chance to talk to them. They just stop letting them come over. Although, if the kids are putting them off they probably think that's were it is coming from so they don't bother with me.

I'm working with them all the time. I just don't get why they just can't behave. There childhood is gonna suck and there's nothing I can do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would sit down with the kids and talk to them about appropriate guest behavior. Some people may find it rude to have a guest ask for things, though a good host would likely already have offered things....not sure what else you could do.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 4:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• The kids just need to learn that you don't act the same in someone else's house as they do in their own. I guess I would say they need to "roll with the punches" a little better. Maybe call the neighbors and see if you can figure out what went wrong, or try inviting the neighbors to your house.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 4:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I would sit down with the kids and explain to them that they shouldn't ask for things when they are guests at someone's house...unless it's a close friend or family member. Your children are old enough to understand those things. My ds is 9 and I have to be careful where he goes due to his aggression.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 4:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Interesting, I find kids normally act like saints at others houses.
    Anonymous

• Teach them how to properly act at others houses... No asking for food/drinks-if you need it, come home for it! Your a guest. No arguing & listen to the rules like they where in school (if your kids know how to act in school-they should know how to act at someones house)..

I would call/visit the neighborhood & apologize & let them know you had no clue what was going on until now & you are working with the kids. I would invite the kids over to your house for a while.

:) Good Luck!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Teach your kids to come home if they are hungry or thirsty, unless otherwise offered food or drinks. You could take the initiative and talk to them, instead of waiting for them to say something????
    Anonymous

• Excuse me, they were invited to come and play? Well sounds like neighbors are not very good hostess. They are only children give them a snack/drink.
    And if you are going to send them home that soon, maybe should explain to the children's parent what it is that the kids are doing wrong.
    Or you could feed them before they go over to someones house. Hey I wait on little kids all day long, give me that or play with me.
    So what do I know about manners.
    DeBee13

Answer by DeBee13 at 5:17 AM on Jun. 30, 2011