how can i stop my 7 yr old from cussing when he visits with me

my ex wife has custody and she is very unstable and talks a lot of fowl language

dubeaubaby

Asked by dubeaubaby at 9:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• use a reward system(such as a cuss jar... with a goal of chucky cheese, or something) when they reach a certain amount of money... be sure to include everyone who is in contact with your child in your presence... it has worked on 4 kids i know of... even call yourself "pottymouth" if justified... eventuallly the foul mouthedparent will be kept in check by your young-un!
    shickenhead42

Answer by shickenhead42 at 9:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• My daughter used to be watched by my mom when she was younger, every time my mom cussed in front of her and she picked it up she would repeat it. What I did with her is just explain that words like that were naughty and she was not allowed to use them. She picked up the lesson very quickly and is now quick to point out if I slip up and curse in front of her. She will say mommy that was a bad word. Go figure corrected by an eight year old!!! lololol :0) Another thing that may help is just explain to his mother that you would like for your child not to cuss and see if you can get her on the right page. If this does not work sue her for custody of the child and explain when you bring the petition to the family court that she is verbally abusive to the kid, because make no mistake if she is using that kind of language if front of him then she is using that kind of language on him.
    Psywolf1995

Answer by Psywolf1995 at 9:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Have you tried talking to your Ex about this? I'm sure you're aware but this could cause your child to get in a lot of trouble if he is cursing at places like daycare or school. I'm with the above answers on a rewards system... My niece when she curses my sister puts tabasco sauce on her tongue... so far it's been pretty succesful
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• At 7 he knows what he is saying is wrong if you have asked him to stop. My friend's mom used to sprinkle pepper flakes on her toungue if she said a bad word.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 8:46 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• After I put a drop of soap in his mouth...he stoped.
    Anonymous

• punish work? community service?
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 3:47 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Ignore him. Tell him that until he can use respectful language and use language that is suitable for his age you are not going to talk to him. I know it sounds harsh but maybe a alternative to our mom's dish soap.
    rebel_mommy88

Answer by rebel_mommy88 at 12:47 AM on Jul. 22, 2008