Labor and Delivery...

So we toured the hospital the other day where I will be delivering. The nurse was nice and showed us the room and the nursery. My mom asked her if she assists in labor and delivery and she said yes so my mom asked her if she knew of any naturally birthing techniques we should look into that she saw women having success with. She said no she doesn't have any advice just don't fight your body. My mom asked her a few more questions about natural labor and delivery but she had no advice or suggestions...isn't it weird that someone who is supposed to be assisting you in delivery has NO idea how to do it naturally?? That wasn't very encouraging.

I do have a midwife but switching hospitals isnt an option..I will just have to prepare on my own.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Maybe most of the women who come in to get epidurals, so she don't have the experience?
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 5:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• ask your midwife or look up childbirth educators in your area. I'm sure there are plenty who can help you.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 6:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• When I had my fourth the nurse was SO excited. I was the FIRST person she had who did not get ANY drugs. She was NOT a new nurse!! AMAZING!

Don't fight your body is great advice (though I know you were looking for more). Let it do what it needs to. Follow your body and ignore what the doctor/nurses tell you. I 'purple pushed' with my first. He was NOT ready to come out and I was pushing for 4 HOURS!! HORRIBLE. With my second and third I pushed on command (by the nurses and doctor). With my last - I ignored everyone and only pushed when I felt like it. If I didn't feel like it, I 'relaxed' through the contraction. It seemed to be every other contraction that I got an urge to push. Easiest birth I have had!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:13 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Thanks for the advice. We are researching on our own and I have talked to my midwife. She recommended bradley method and I want to study hypnobabies too. I was just surprised someone from the hospital didn't know or wasnt familiar with any natural childbirth methods.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:39 AM on Jun. 30, 2011