Strip searching kids in schools

We had an incident in one of our public schools that involved a 12 yr old that was accused of stealing from the locker room at school during a volley ball game. There was a female principal that allegedly strip searched the 12 yr old to the point of exposing the boy's genitals last October. The student stole several items one of them was an MP3 player and was found on this kid. The boy's guardians of course is bringing a lawsuit towards this school for "being out of line". The thing that gets me is the fact the student's guardians waited 8 months to do anything. The student's guardians are now claiming their son was targeted because he is Black. The principal swears she absolutely did not strip search this student, and the familys around this middle school is standing with the principal and nobody believes she did this.
I think the only time a school should consider a strip search is if they strongly believe that a student is in possession of a weapon like a gun or a bomb then there should be at the least 2 people in the room with the student who is being searched.
What are some of your thoughts and opinion on this??

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 5:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• No school employee should be involved in a strip search. If the problem is serious enough, call in the police and let them decide what to do.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• my thought/opinion would be that if suspicion is warranted, the student is held, authorities/parent(s) or guardians are notified, and its done in the presence of a representative of each. i would not want to be on the receiving end of my anger, if i were to find out after-the-fact, that my child had been strip-searched without me being notified and present. also, what kind of legal loophole is present that would allow a school official to do such a thing, without permission or legal authorities present? (if it happened)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• If a kid stole something from my kid, ( or any kids) you bet I would want him searched. If done properly with two or more school personnel present.
    kids think they can get away with anything---parents won't care and they would lie for the larcenous brats. It would be particularly important to search for weapons. You know there are way too many families with gun lovers as heads of households. I am sure glad my kids aren't in school any more. I worry about my grandkids. There are too many parents who refuse to parent....and kids who are wild.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 5:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• From the opinion side of this article and from some other people are saying this kid does like to make up stories anmd others are wondering why it took 8 months to do anything about it, and I amn wondering the same thing. The thing that pisses me off is the family pulled out the damn race card, "oh this poor little black boy is being targeted cause of his skin color" The school has equal amounts of both races and plus a few others. The kid was targeted because another student witnessed the act.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I don't believe that schools should have the authority to strip search. You never know who is doing the searching and just because they passed a background check doesn't mean they aren't a pedophile, it only means they haven't been caught. The child should have been held and law enforcement called. If it was traumatic, it's possible that the child didn't say anything at first. However the fact that the race card is being pulled makes me wonder. Simple, if you are black and don't want to be known for doing bad things, then don't do anything bad. Simply because you are black does not make you a victim of being a criminal. It's funny though because all that have screamed profiled, have actually committed a crime.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 5:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Schools should not have the authority to strip search and I seriously doubt that this happened like the kid is claiming. I agree that if the problem is severe enough then law enforcement should be called in to do any searches of a person (not the same with a locker). Too much liability and too high of a chance of facing litigation down the road.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• So even though the kid was caught and is guilty the school is still at fault?? That is exactly what is wrong with our society!!!!

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Its the same thing if a muslim kid was caught with a bomb and claimed he was targeted because of his nationality. Plenty of people hate the proifiling that goes on, but if u stop and think about it, everyone profiles a person whether or not they realize it.

" If it was traumatic, it's possible that the child didn't say anything at first"
    Even if that was the case, the parents were still called saying their child was caught stealing things from the school locker room, or the
    school use to notify the parents, why did it take so long for the kid to say anything?? One would think he would of spoke up then.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 6:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• No government employee better EVER remove my children's (minor under 18) clothing EVER. If they think my child is guilty of anything they can call me and I will search him/her if I have to but, I would not only sue the school, I would have the person removing my children's clothing charged with sexual assault.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• They shouldn't have waited as long as they did and since the child has a history of lying it will be interesting to see what happens. The race card was pulled out because tat is likely all the parents have to use. It is sad they are teaching their son that behavior.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2011