Can I give my 5 month old baby slippery elm for reflux and if yes, how much do I give him ? Thanx

Trish1953

Asked by Trish1953 at 5:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Our herbals, in the US, have been shown to be inconsistent in ingredients, sometimes contain trace amounts of lead and pharmaceutical drugs. I would not give them to kids.
    Talk to your ped about how to deal with reflux, they deal with it all the time.

Good luck mama.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Hi Mama
    I have been reading up on Slippery Elm and all the sites say how good it is for reflux. My Dr said to give the Slippery Elm porridge but thought I would try the powder first and mix it like a drink, just not sure how much to give. Have not read anywhere it has traces of lead. But thanx for the answer.
    Trish1953

Comment by Trish1953 (original poster) at 5:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I'd call a local herbalist. I've been studying herbs and most herbs are ok for children. Please remember that there are a lot of scare stories out there because the pharmaceutical companies and doctors do not want you to use herbs because it makes a big dent in their wallets. I've been using herbs for many years for not only myself, but my children and animals, including my farm animals. We don't get ill like people who's immune systems are taxed to the limit with chemicals. Meantime you can make some chamomile or peppermint tea, that helps a lot.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 6:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Thank you so much for your reply. I found out how much to give my baby and mixed some up for him today. I really dont think slippery elm can be harmful, its from the bark of a tree !! Yes, I totally agree about Drs/companies not wanting us to use herbs. The whole medical thing is a huge money making racket. I try and use natural things. Its a pity more people dont think like yu do.Thanx again.
    Trish1953

Comment by Trish1953 (original poster) at 5:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Also try a hazelwood necklace; it has been helping my daughter who was diagnosed with GERD.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 11:23 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Never heard of a hazelwood necklace. Where would I get such a thing in the UK ? Thanx tho.
    Trish1953

Comment by Trish1953 (original poster) at 10:34 AM on Jul. 2, 2011