My son wont sleep

I am an RN so i know all the medical advice. I wanna know if you all have any mommy advice that might get him to sleep... he is 5 months old

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• IDK if you count this as medical advice, but I'll post it anyways.

it won't help tonight, but tomorrow, get him out in the sun during the day (10am or so is a good time) the sunlight will help his body to regulate it's melatonin production so that he gets sleepy at night.

mommy advice - turn off lights, tv, music, anything that is distraction to him. hold him (or if he'll do it lay him in his crib) without distraction he may figure out he's sleepy and go to sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• My 4, soon to be 5 month old tomorrow :( has been sleeping through the night since 2 months, he went through a couple weeks where he was waking up during the night again. What I did was just gave him his pacifier and left. To get him to sleep we have done the same thing since he was born..gave him a bath, fed him a bottle, and put him to bed (I swaddled him until recently). I would say a routine is very important. My advice is to teach your baby to self sooth. Either give him/her a pacifier and let them fall back asleep on their own, or just let them cry it out until they fall asleep. The time with crying gets shorter. If you don't like to let your baby cry it out, then I would say stay in the room with the baby and just keep patting their tummy or back until they fall asleep. You can rock him but lay him down when he is almost asleep, not fully. I agree wiht the above poster, eliminate distractions.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:33 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Is he teething? Or just being a stinker? Is he comfortable? If all the eliments are right and hes just not going to bed you could try really tiring him out during the day and cuting out naps tomorrow. He may need some snuggling to go to sleep. Each baby is different. Good luck
    CassandraLeeMN

Answer by CassandraLeeMN at 2:40 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Ok, I'm new to the mommy thing, but my baby LOVES to have the TV on, he hates the silence. (he's only 11 days old) Try some white noise - like a humming machine, my little sister is 20 and still uses hers to get to sleep :) I have found that the night time bath wash from johnson&johnson really does work! and he stays asleep for a longer period of time. it is funny how every baby is different - Good luck.
    itsaboy1208

Answer by itsaboy1208 at 4:01 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Drive around with him in his carseat. Put him in a bouncy seat and set it on the dryer (standing there with him of course).

Good luck!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:57 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• check out magicsleepsuit.com. With your medical background, you may understand why this product created by a pediatric physical therapist works.
    Anonymous