Are my inlaws the ONLY people who don't ask questions when they go to the doctor/hospital?

Any time some one in DH's family goes to the doctor or hospital for a problem, they don't listen. They don't know what is wrong with themselves, or whoever is in the hospital. They don't know what they are supposed to do after they leave the doctor/hospital, they don't know what medicine they are on or the side effects. A nurse (or any one else for that matter, apparently) can come in with a syringe full of medication and they won't ask what it is. They ask no questions, and what they are told goes in one ear and out the other. It is completely frustrating to talk to any ill person in DH's family because it's like talking to a 3 year old. Last time FIL was in the hospital, I went with DH and personally asked the nurse what was going on. She was noticeably shocked that FIL hadn't asked already. When she left the room, I turned to him and said, "all you have to do is ask and they will tell you!" These are NOT a group of elderly, senile people, either. What adult gets admitted into the hospital and doesn't ask questions about their own health?!

Mrs.B3

Asked by Mrs.B3 at 5:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Just for Fun

• wow! i annoy the hell out of doctors and staff when i even set foot in the their office!!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 6:13 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I HOPE that's really unusual.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Sorry, but there are many, many people like that. How many mothers check ingredients of immunizations? They don't. They take the word of people saying that you have 1 in a million chances of dying of a childhood disease. But they don't check and see that a lot of the ingredients are carcinogens and will kill you later. Same goes for psychotropic drugs they pass out to children. Better to have them sit still than to worry about the side effects. People just figure that if someone has some letters behind their last name and they tell them what to do, they should just do it. I believe they should have to tell you absolutely EVERYTHING about any medication, immunization, procedure or surgery and then make a decision based on what is best for YOU or your child, not what they think.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 6:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Yeah, when I have been to the doctor, I take notes. Especially about my children. When I was in the hospital, I ask about every thing going on. I don't just let people come pump my IV with medication if I don't know what it is! I also know my diagnosis when I get one and what steps I'll have to take to get better. It amazes me that none of them know answers to simple questions like, "so what did the doctor say is wrong?"
    Mrs.B3

Comment by Mrs.B3 (original poster) at 6:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2011