I am 14 weeks pregnant and bleeding and cramping

I called my doctor's office to find out what to do, it took 35 min for them to get back to me and when they did all they said was the doctor on call was doing a delivery so they couldn't ask him what he wanted to do and since the office was close (wasn't closed when I called and if fact, it wasn't supposed to close for another 20 min). Then I called back because the cramping got worse (they told me too if that happened), I have a history of preterm labor too. Well the nurse told me that the doctor was still in the delivery and would have another after that so if I wanted to come in I could but it would be a while till anyone could do anything. I know this is how most practices are but I just feel like I am not a priority with my doctor, like like I am only important if no one else needs them. The practice has 6 doctors in it and I just feel like while they have one on call, they should have someone on back up in case something like this happens, even if just to be contacted by the nurses when a patient calls about something like this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Go to the emergency room! But really, if you are having a miscarriage, I don't think there is anything they can do to stop it, good luck, I really hope everything is OK!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Thank you, the bleeding has pretty much stopped and I have a Doppler and heard the baby's heart beat, it is great. I just feel like I should be just as much of a priority as any other patient. If I was dilating, they could do a circlouge (don't know how you spell it) or there are medicines that can help stop contractions.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Sorry, but a miscarriage is just not the same priority as a birth in progress. Did you ask to talk to a nurse? They should have at least had one call you back or come to the phone. I guess you could have gone to the ER where he was attending a birth. Someone would have seen you until he was available. Anyway, the facts are if you are not satisfied with your DR. you need to look for a new one. I stayed with my male Dr for way to long. I finally went and found a great female OB/Gyn and I really like her and the office.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• There is no one in the ER who could do anything, I would have to wait several hours to see the OBGYN, I am NOT having a miscarriage it seems though I may be dilating, which is something they CAN do something about. I am not saying that the doctor should leave the woman laboring, I think that in a practice so large (actually, I realized they now have 7 OBGYNs in the practice) they need to have someone on backup
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2011