How do I get my daughter to stop grabbing the cat by her neck!?

She picks her up that way! And my husband just caught her trying to pick her up by her back legs. OMG this is so annoying. I've told her like 50 million times to not do this. I have showed her the proper way to pick her up because I know she is going to pick her up when I'm not looking. UGH poor kitty. She has scratched her on the face and bit her (enough to make a mark but not break skin) hand. I don't even care if the cat does that because my DD needs to learn!! I have put her in time out too. I have talked to her calmly about how it is not nice to handle the cat that way. She doesn't listen!! She is 3 yrs old btw.

Help! What can I do to get her to stop??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just keep saying "be nice to kitty". Show her how to pick him up. And keep them separated when you are not there.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• when my ds is mean to the cats, he has to give them a hug or kiss (whichever the cat will put up with lol) and he has to tell them sorry. As soon as i see him handle one of our cas wrong, i correct it and tell him "be soft with kitty". it takes a while but it worked
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 6:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I would pick your DD up in an uncomfortable position (something that inflicts just enough pain to be a discomfort not enough to actually hurt her) and ask her if she likes it..then explain to her that this is they way she makes the kitties feel and she needs to be gentle. My DS used to bite the dog when he was about 2 1/2ish so i bit him back (hard enough to leave an imprint but not enough to really hurt him or bruise him) and explained that this is they way he made the dog feel. he never did it again. my dog dies last year and now we have kitties (3mos) and he is gentle as pie to them. He even gets up every morning before us just to feed them and give them water. Hes only 4 so we have never asked him to do it...but he likes to.
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 3:27 AM on Jun. 30, 2011