Can I take melatonin while breastfeeding?

I'm having trouble falling asleep at night. It would be great to go to bed when the baby does, but I don't want to take a chemical sleep aid. I want to be able to wake up if he needs me, although he rarely does anymore. I just need something to help me fall asleep. He sleeps through the night, so I don't have to get up to nurse him until morning. I've used melatonin before but not since before I got pregnant. If I take it at night, will it still be in my milk in the morning? Thank you in advance.

Rebecca7708

Asked by Rebecca7708 at 2:28 AM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the only issue I can say with taking melatonin is that your body will get used to the outside source of it and stop producing it naturally, causing you to have to take it to get to sleep every night.

have you tried benedryl? most OTC sleep aids are just benedryl
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I looked it up for you b/c I wasn't sure either. It actually isn't recommended for breastfeeding women. Have you tried sleepy-time tea?
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:35 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Melatonin is also a hormone that your body naturally produces, so it isn't a chemical. Ask your baby's pediatrician if you're unsure of whether to use it or not.
    Anonymous