Draw a circle..

Do you think this is appropriate reading material for children? Please explain your answer.

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 6:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Religious Debate

• It's not appropriate reading material for children. But it would make a great parody sketch for something like SNL or MadTV!

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 6:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:47 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Is anyone seeing the bit above where it says "he loves some things more than others. He gives them more gifts"

confused

Yeah i don't think this is sending out quite the right message, especially to kids. I can see the playground fights now. "God loves me more than you because I got more toys for my birthday"

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I found it on numerous Atheist websites, blogs- just google "draw a circle around the thing Good loves the most" It appears to be (from one of the discussion) from the 50's- and Irish Catholic school work book- so its what 60 years old? Lets look at public school books, laws and history books from that time as well- I bet we would all be just as appalled-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• appropriate? no
    disturbing? yes
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• LOL Momma K-

Am I the only one wondering why a 60 year old school book is tweetable news?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• And thats tweetable news- that people hold on to those types of notions- that's beating a dead horse- there will always be those left behind as society moves forward- either a very slow news day or someone really looking for something to whine about- amazing how much play its getting online- sounds like some are hyper focused on the horrors of religion-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:57 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Yes, it's kind of 60 years late and a Vatican II short
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 7:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Does it matter what style the illustrations are in the book if the message hasn't changed?
    >>>
    How did you get that from this article?
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• What era did you find THAT material from?

PS I would circle the animals....so much quieter than babies and they actually respond to you, as opposed to the plants.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2011