Online classes??(College)

I'm planning on taking some online classes for college but i dont know what websites to go to && i was also wondering if ya'll know anything about them if ya'll do what are somethings i should know?

noahsmommy-010

Asked by noahsmommy-010 at 6:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Money & Work

• Look into your local universities. You can probably take online classes through them.

Online classes, IMO, are more difficult than on campus classes. A lot more reading and independent work. You will spend a lot of time doing school work and in all the online classes I've taken, we've been required to participate weekly in the discussion board.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 6:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Stay away from for-profit schools like University of Phoenix. Their degrees are rarely accepted in the real world and they charge outrageous prices.  Many state schools and community colleges offer online classes now and they are legit.  I go to the University of Hawaii and am taking traditional classes but I also have online classes where the teachers are great and actually have PhD's. 

HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 7:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Definitely look into your local college/university and stay away from for profit schools. My husbands HR director, like many from what I have heard, do not consider candidates with degrees from for profit schools. Most brick and mortar schools now have many classes online, and some even have online only degrees, but with a better name than the for profit schools.

Answer by missanc at 7:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• oh God thanks hollybobolly i was about to look into that university, but now i know
    noahsmommy-010

Comment by noahsmommy-010 (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I'd look into local schools and universities. I took online classes through the local community college, and they have means to help with finances too.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 7:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Don't know why anyone would vote down HollyBoBolly for her response, because she is 100% correct....probably someone wasting $1,000 or so into the school.....well you got a surprise coming when you don't get hired.

She's correct, these certificate schools like phoenix and stratford are just junk. Most employers don't recognize them or consider them worth more than the piece of paper they are printed on. And in some cases are not even valid completion for the field. For example, the cosmetology....you can't become a licensed cosmetologist based on taking this course, in ANY state. To get licensed you need a certain number of classroom hours and internship hours neither of which these schools provide.

So, if you want to take one of these courses for your own personall knowledge and not to try and get hired they are fine, but for finding outside employment....complete waste of time and money!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:43 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• HollyBoBolly has the best response.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:09 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:58 PM on Jul. 2, 2011