Unmedicated birth

I am fixing to start trying for my last baby. With this final experience of giving birth I want to try things a little differently. I would like to try giving birth unmediated. I was hoping that someone would have any information about helpful techniques that have worked for them. I am also not going to find out the gender until birth. I want this to be a happy experience for me and SO since this will be out last. I have to have my uterus removed shortly after I would give birth. Thank you for your time.

angelmine2011

Asked by angelmine2011 at 7:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Pregnancy

• They will give you an IV regardless, have them put some N/V meds in it. The pain really isn't as bad as some people say. I was terrified of giving birth, but I refused meds due to how dangerous it will be. I suggest too keep your mind busy. Unmedicated deliveries generally don't last as long, so keep your mind on "10 more pushes until I can hold my baby!" or something. You don't need to hire someone, you can have a nurse stand by your side and count with you! Just make a birth plan and make sure they have it when you go in, so they know your wishes!! :o)
    supermama86

Answer by supermama86 at 7:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I highly recommend hiring a Doula, statistically they are proven to help women in having the birth experiences they desire =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 7:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Both of my births we unmedicated. What I did was walked a lot, and practiced breathing techniques. From my experience and point of view the pain was not bad and as soon as the head is out you don't feel much at all! You can also do the exercises where you tighten up your vagina and release it while laying on your back to help you stretch better. Natural child birth is an amazing experience!
    supermama86

Answer by supermama86 at 7:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I am on my first pregnancy now, so I don't know much myself, but my mother gave birth to 5 children unmedicated! She always told me that it hurts (obviously) but, it's definitely safer and worth it!
    Pepe22

Answer by Pepe22 at 8:43 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Join the natural birth group on here for a lot of support and advice. Good luck and congratulations!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I have been watching natural birth videos and I must say it doesn't seem to bad. I know there will be pain and my biggest problem is when I am under a lot of pain I throw up always. So I need to figure out how to get through that. Maybe phergan would help some.
    angelmine2011

Comment by angelmine2011 (original poster) at 7:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I think I am pretty much on my own here. Any midwives or doulas are to far from my town. I also thought about water birth and home birth. I know some women do this unassisted but my last pregnancy had quite a few complications so I know I will need assistance with delivery. I know I can take birthing classes because my local planned parenthood offered them to me with my last pregnancy but since I was doing the epi I didn't have to take them. I will do them this time for sure. Now to discuss with SO
    (who has threatened to not be in the delivery room he is scared lol he was joking btw) to come up with an ironclad birth plan.
    angelmine2011

Comment by angelmine2011 (original poster) at 9:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2011