How does your daycare/preschool handle picky eaters?

My son is 3 and incredibly picky. We don't cater to him but he often skips entire meals. Soon is going to start preschool and I'm worried they will try to force him to eat. If he doesn't eat with us he just doesn't eat until next meal/snack.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My kids don't go to preschool, but my sister in law pulled her son out of a preschool recently that used to force him to eat. That wasn't the reason that she pulled him out, but it was part of it...

Ask how they deal with really picky eaters when you go to check out various places.
    MommyCatalina

Answer by MommyCatalina at 10:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Talk to the teachers about it before he starts. I think most good teachers try to encourage the kids to eat because they feel bad if they think the kid is hungry... it's hard for them to realize that it's okay if he skips lunch sometimes (or often) because he will make up for it later. I think there is pressure on them to make sure the kids stay healthy. But if you explain the situation and ask for their help to enforce the same meal-time rules you do at home, they should be willing to work with you. Just be ready for this to be a regular topic. My son is fairly picky too. On days that he's in "school" I provide his lunches, and it took a few months to convince the teachers that it's okay if he didn't want to eat. I keep pointing out that he's energetic and happy and growing well and he really does eat a lot when he's hungry enough, just not every meal and every day. I like that they care enough to be worried about this.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• my son is picky we us but when it comes to day care. he eats whatever is given b.c he knows they won't give in.
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 4:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2011