What do you think of saying G-d at a Military funeral? adult content

I read a story today about the Houston, Texas military funeral that is not allowing the word "G-d" to be said at funeral services. I am a Veteran, and this really hits hard. How dare the Department of Veteran's Affairs dictate what prayers may or may not be spoken over my grave? If you look at the form for the traditional headstone, it covers just about every religious belief there is, and even blank for those who don't want any marker. Help!

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 7:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• i think if that's the deceased's religion, its appropriate, and the military/funeral home/whomever has no say.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• That is my opinion, too. The Houston Dept. of Veteran Affairs says that prayers have to be submitted to them prior to the funeral for their approval. What gives? Who KNOWS when they are going to die? And unless you have it all planned out before hand, forget about it.
    Joeygoat

Comment by Joeygoat (original poster) at 7:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• that's really stupid..is my other thought.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I think that it should be up to the deceased's persons family. If my DH were to pass away (God forbid) I would want God to be mentioned at the funeral, and the same if I die. (We are both military.)
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• that is ridiculous!!
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 7:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I'm pretty sure that is not a national policy. My grandfather is the head of the Korean War Vets organization for his area, and I know they have fully religious funerals for their vets, including at the local VA cemetary.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7630537.html

Nope, its not. And the courts have ruled against it.

Personally, I'm against any censorship of what can or can't be said at the funeral of a military member...I sure as heck would be upset if either my husband or myself couldn't carry out our wishes for our military funeral (especially since it took over 10 years for the VA to approve an emblem of belief for Pagan headstones), I'm certainly not down with that for someone else.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 7:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• This is one cemetery in Houston, and it was the director who decided this, according to all the information I've found. It's stupid and is in violation of free speech. There have been several complaints against this woman, so I am betting that she'll be relieved of her position in short time.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 7:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I think funerals - even military ones - should be done in accordance with the wishes and beliefs of the deceased or their family if they left no instructions.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I think funerals - even military ones - should be done in accordance with the wishes and beliefs of the deceased or their family if they left no instructions. [sabrina]

Couldn't have said it better myself ... 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:57 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Well I think it depends, if it's an individual funeral than the beliefs of the deceased should be respected and done in accordance with their beliefs or that of their family. If it's one that is covering many individuals than it's an all or none type deal. And while yes mass funerals for military are rare these days, they do still occur on occasion, let's say if there were those who died in combat and the deceased were from the same unit and town.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2011