Avastin will no longer be a covered drug. Not safe and effective?

We heard grumblings about this a year or so ago so it isn't surprising. The FDA says it isn't safe and effective on breast cancer sufferers. It doesn't stop the use of Avastin on other cancers though. Most Drs and many women don't see it the same way as the FDA and are vowing to continue using it hoping insurance companies will continue to pay as long as it is listed as a breast cancer drug. Is this just the FDAs way of cutting an $8000 a month drug(on average) or is there really something to it not being safe and effective for one cancer but not others?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 7:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Government making the decisions instead of medicine. There is only one government but many competing insurance companies. The government wants control over every facet of your life so they passed controls and regulations to stifle competition. Expect further reductions in availability of high cost drugs and a massive slowdown in development of new drugs...Obama's death panels.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 7:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• OM....annabarred, are you serious? Government death panels?
    If you truly believe that our Government is really that evil....why don't you just mOVE?????
    Although, I suggest counseling.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 8:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Approval was based on a single study by the manufacturer, which suggested the drug prevented the disease from advancing for an average of 5.5 months. But subsequent studies have failed to replicate the results, and have shown the drug carries serious risks like high blood pressure, heart attacks, and bleeding.

http://www.latimes.com/health/sc-dc-0630-fda-avastin-20110630,0,5052968.story

minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 8:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Minnie, you read an article and all of a sudden you are an expert because you believe what it says? Studies? The drug is only 7 yrs old and while you say there was one short survey before it was approved yet they don't say anything about the studies (which were obviously short) done that say it isn't safe? Hello? It's a poison, all chemo and drugs used for cancer are a poison. They will cause side effects in some that they don't cause in others. High blood pressure, liver and kidney problems are common in these cancer drugs. I know every cancer drug has these dangers. Fact is I have seen nothing proving it isn't safe or effective.
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 8:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Welcome to Obamacare. The future of medicine.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Insurance companies have denied this same drug for some as well.

$8,000/month -there's your answer
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• No worries here...in Oregon the euthanasia pill is free!

I don't think gert will see the truth until the rug has been pulled out from under those on Medicare. I
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• so....what is your point, itsmesteph? I just posted that article becsuse YOU didn't have any source at all....we were supposed to believe you.
    I don't think Avastin is safe. I wouldn't take it.I am really anti-medications anyway.
    SO, what did you want to say?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• YSK, you are batty as usual. Just try to be fairly decent and human, okay? Do you have any friends in real life?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Sorry, Minnie that I am faster at getting the news out than the news is.
    I asked the question. Others choose to answer or not. After that it becomes a discussion or a debate.
    That's how it works here. Got it?
    Looks like most of the ladies here know where i was going with the question. Maybe you should go to the
    "Just for fun section"
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 12:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2011