breastfed to formula

My son is 6 1/2 months and is breastfed only, he has no teeth but it does still hurt when he bites down and pulls and then he thinks its funny. Well we have decided to try and start him on some formula so I gave him a 4 ounce bottle today around 9:00 and he ate about 3 ounces and then didn't want anymore. I then tried to feed him another around 11:00 but he was not hungry, I decided to breastfeed him around 2:00 because we want to ease him into the formula. He ate for about 3 or 4 minutes and then was done but this is his usual, well about 5 minutes after eating he started to vomit. It was enough to soak his clothes and a receiving blanket, he never gets sick like that and hardly spits up. What I was wondering if it could of been the formula or not since it was about 5 hours in between feedings. Or maybe he just ate to much breast milk since I was kind of full.

hosein

Asked by hosein at 4:37 AM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it sounds like he was over-fed. Since he is used to breastmilk and Formula takes a lot longer to digest. And if he ate when you were REALLY full.. Do you feed on demand or on a schedule?
    I would start again tomorrow.. Try a smaller amount of formula.. and then don't feed him again .. until HE is hungry. Breast feed for the rest of the day. Do this for a a few days.. and then move to 2 feedings with formula.. Taking out 1 breast feeding session a day will help ease him into formula.. and help you ease out of breastfeeding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:04 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• We feed when he tells us he wants to eat so it is always different in between feedings. Maybe he thought he was hungry but his tummy was to full. I hope that is what happened.
    hosein

Answer by hosein at 5:14 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• So he ate at 9 and then again at 2? Thats not overfed, thats an intolerance to the formula. If it came up like all at once, then you know it is. This is common with BF babies who switch over to formula all at once like that. Its also very common for a baby to be fine with moms milk, but not to be able to tolerate milk based formula. Usually it ends with projectile vomiting. I had two breast babies and two formula babies and with my second one, I exclusively BF her until four months. Then, my milk just dried up. I couldn't explain it, but I couldn't stop it either. I gave her the reccomended enfamil and she vomited it all up in one mouthfull. I had to switch her to soy. That stopped that but it didn't stop the spitting up. She had reflux for a long time.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:11 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Also formula does take longer to digest and you don't feed every 2 -3 hours like you do with breastmilk. Its more like 4ish. So keep that in mind and if you need to switch him over...try to do it gradually. That will help you see if he has an allergy to the milk based products. If he projectile vomits again...don't give him anymore. Call your doc. Most likely they will reccomend a soy based product. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:13 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• if he ate at 9, then 2, he didnt overeat, its the formula. his body isnt used to it.
    NoGirlsAllowed

Answer by NoGirlsAllowed at 9:41 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• it depends on the formula. it may just not agree with him. i had my daughter on enfamil and breastmilk she spit up way too much. so i started to use Good Start and she hardly throws up on that maybe once and while. so just keep him on that for a few days and see if not try another formula...
    Davina07

Answer by Davina07 at 10:37 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Do you want to completely switch him or would you rather he not bite you? If you're looking to completely switch, you might want to try a more gradual approach. Keep in mind that you are going from feeding him the standard baby food (breastmilk) to something new and substandard for him (formula) It's best if you introduce it a little at a time.

Also, if you'd like to continue nursing, you can just 'train' him to not bite.
    ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 11:45 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I would think about asking an LC about how to get him to stop biting if it were me.... they can help you
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:19 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Biting is an easy fix type of problem check out the big breastfeeding group there is a sticky on top. Biting should NEVER be a reason to take away such an amazing source of nutrition and to upset his innards like that. Biting is easily fixed please do your best to work with him so that he does not have to suffer from a substandard source of nutrition that is meant for medical interventions.  The pain of watching your little one suffer is a 100 times worse then taking a bit of pain every now and again especially when you have every resource to fix the problem.  A sore tummy from formula is never an easy fix and sometimes is not fixable at all.  Put baby first and fix the biting problem and continue to give him mommy's goodness.  Good Luck and know that you CAN over come this easily!!

Anonymous

• if it is just the biting that is uncomfortable you could try pumping and the bottle feeding, I did that for almost 2 months after he stopped bf at 6 months. Then when I started him on formula, I mixed 2-3 oz of formula and 2-3 oz of breast milk and slowly weaned out the breast milk, he was fully on formula at about 9 1/2 months. I also had to try 3 different types of formula and my ds would only take the similac organic formula. Just be patient because switching is a process not something quick. Also if you take longer to wean off breast milk it will be easier on you when you stop altogether. I had no pain at all when i stopped bf.
    JaidensMom2007

Answer by JaidensMom2007 at 2:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2008