• In the Spotlight:

Period...

Its 4:50 here & my daughter woke me at 4:30 crying saying shes having horrible cramps, i gave her an aliv if that doesnt work have any idea's?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:51 AM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I would give her a heating pad, or have her maybe take a hot bath. Motrin is good, but I don't know if you can do that if you've already taken something else.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:53 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Tell her to lay in the fetal position and pull her knees to her chest as tight as she can. The pressure will often help my cramps when they get that bad. The hot bath and/or heating pad are also great ideas.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 5:02 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Motrin works better and faster than aleve. When that wears off, give her two motrin and the heating pad is a great idea. I can totally feel her pain. I have 2 days of unrelenting cramps every month. Endometriosis is what the doc said I had...Ugh.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:34 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• My DH uses a heating pad and Advil Liquid gels, but recently, they have been so bad,( and she's 17 now) that she almost blacks out. I got her to the Dr., and onto birth control to regulate her system. She still gets bad cramps, but she can live with it now, and not miss school, and the Dr. told her to come back to 'talk' privately when she becomes sexually active, as the dose she is getting is NOT a birth control strength...good luck!
    islandwalker

Answer by islandwalker at 1:53 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Advil and heating pad. 3 ibuprofen are the same as one prescription strength but be sure she drinks LOTS of water and does not exceed daily recommended dose. In other words, if she has to take 3 twice in one day, she's almost reached the recommended dosage of 8 in 24 hrs. That means if she's cramping the next day too she can only take 2 that whole day.
    ashandamymom

Answer by ashandamymom at 7:56 PM on Dec. 15, 2008