Sprained ankle-stay off of it or try to walk...

how long do I stay off adn when do I start trying to walk. So far is still hurts like hell but then again it has only been a few hours.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 7:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Health

• try to stay off of it for the rest of the day and try walking on it tomorrow.
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 7:56 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• It depends on how bad the sprain is. I had a 3rd degree sprain, and was in a cast for 6 weeks. If it hurts...don't do it!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:56 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I would stay off it and ice it on and off for a little while until you feel comfortable walking on it. I dont think 'walking it off' is going to work on a sprain your just gonna make it hurt more. It shouldn't be too long though.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 7:57 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• It is swollen a good bit but not bruised so far... I have no idea how bad it is... no money for a doctor! I *can* put some weight on ti though so I am fairly certain it is not broken. Plus I sprained this same ankle about a year ago (was diagnosed by a doctor-workers comp) and it was not 100% better. If I stepped wrong it would get a little sore...
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 7:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Ice it and elevate it. GL
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 8:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• You probably want to get an air cast or other rigid brace. Pain is a sign that you're doing something you probably shouldn't be, so if it hurts very much, you should ice it and stay off of it. Take some Advil to reduce inflammation. If it still hurts after several weeks (since you said it still hadn't healed completely the first time) you might want to look into ultrasound therapy. It works WONDERS on ankles/knees/shoulders to heal and relieve pain. I screwed up my ankle horribly several years ago and was in physical therapy for 3 months. It is the only thing that really made it better instead of just masking the symptoms. I ended up buying an at-home ultrasound wand, which is not cheap but definitely worth it. Feel better!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:49 PM on Jun. 29, 2011