Diaper Rash!!! Please help.

My son has been having alot of trouble with diapers since he was born. He is 19mo now. For the first six months he was getting rash after rash on the lower part of his belly under his diaper. The doctor told me to start trying natural diapers, same thing. So I used cloth for about 12 months. In the beginning cloth was doing better but ocasionally he was still breaking out, now I'm having a really hard time with the cloth because they are smelling funny and I dont think there cleaning properly anymore and he's been breaking out again. So I've basically given up on the cloth and want to try a new approach to avoid these rashes.

I have noticed through all the rashes they happen over night when the urine is on his skin while he's sleeping. My DH jokes that he has acid pee :) But seriously if anyone has any suggestions I would really apperciate it.

Oh and my pediatrition closed his practice and my new pediatrition doesn't seem very concerned or motivated to figure out how to stop it, other than potty training and I started to introduce it and he's not receptive to it yet.

Finkette

Asked by Finkette at 7:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter also has had issues with daiper rash,nyastatin is a prescrition for yeast or fungal infections and cornstrach works like magic,i swear!!! after it clears up use AD oitment as a protectant after every change,not the white kind like daiper rash cream this like a clear yellow cream
    fleaandtick

Answer by fleaandtick at 9:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Even though butt paste (or any other rash cream) is typically used for diaper rash on the butt, anything you put on his skin that will act as a barrier between him and the urine might help prevent additional rashes.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 8:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Fungal would need a specific fungal cream.

Doesn't sound like it's fungal though. Have you tried cornstarch?

http://community.babycenter.com/post/a1694365/corn_starch_on_diaper_rash
    Anonymous

• I've heard butt paste works good.
    Anonymous

• Yeah but thats for diaper burn on the butt... this is above his genitals (not on them) under his belly. It's a fungal infection I think.
    Finkette

Comment by Finkette (original poster) at 7:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Desitin/Baby powder other than than maybe try changing laundry detergents. Also when my son would get a severe diaper rash I would leave his diaper off as much as I could when we were at home. Yes I know of the mess but it seemed like after a bath the air was the best thing to help it heal quickly. Oh and my son was allergic to disposable diapers that had a colored lining in them so switching to the cheaper brands with no colored inside lining helped us.
    Willsmommmie

Answer by Willsmommmie at 8:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I just started trying the cornstarch tonight... along with an anti fungal the doc gave me. but he's not going to be using the anti fungal forever and I want to try and avoid the rashes. My MIL told me cornstarch so i'm gonna give it a try to soak up some moisture but I was trying to arm myself with some more options in case it doesn't work.
    Finkette

Comment by Finkette (original poster) at 8:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I tried using Caldisen, which is a diaper rash powder i use ( and it works great on rashes) but did nothing for the rash from the diaper.... and there is no dye or perfume in the diapers because they are hypoallergenic all natural diapers.
    Finkette

Comment by Finkette (original poster) at 8:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Out of desperation one night i have invented this cream that works wonders on diaper rashes and even jock itch (i got it when i was preggers) and is absolutely safe to use on little ones most sensitive parts even newborns. Then best part is that it clears up the rash usually on the first day. But make sure you use it at least 5 days - a week so the rash dosent come back. Heres the recipie make sure the container is large enough because it makes enough for a few months if you are using it often.

1/4 cup Monistat 7 day yeast infection cream (or store brand dosent matter)
    1/8 cup Baby lotion fragrance free (I use aveno)
    1 1/2 table spoon Vaseline

mix it well and apply to the rash as need. Monistat is safe to use on babies (i checked with my pediatrician) and cures the rash quick. the lotion keeps the babies skin soft and the vaseline keeps the area from being irritated by urine or poop.
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 8:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Expose the area. Fold the diaper so it can stay below the belly so the affected area is not in contact with the diaper. Like when our babies were born and the newborn diapers. They are designed to leave the umbilical cord exposed.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 8:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2011