My father sleeps in his van....

Please no bashing, looking for advice. I am not sure how to handle what I just found out, my father sleeps in his van at night!! He has no reason to sleep in his van, he gets a retirement check and social security check. So I am baffled as to why he chooses to do this. At one point he had an apartment around the corner from us, not sure what happened there. So my question is, should I ask him about it or let it be? My husband says its non of my business, he is a grown man.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Relationships

• Somehow bring it up in a conversation if you are really curious.
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 8:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• it is your business. you should ask him why definitely. it is your father and i know you want whats best for him. you want him to be comfortable.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 8:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I think it really depends on how close you are to him.. I personally would have said something to my dad if he was living in a van.. I would want to see what was up.. But I was pretty close to my dad.
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 8:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I would think since he hasn't told you or asked you for help he doesn't want to be a burden? My dad in his old age does some odd things, or things I get onto him about not telling me, and my dad usually tells me I am married with kids and he doesn't want to be a burden... keep in mind I am a SAHM, and I can drive him places, as long as it doesn't conflict with carpooling kids? But not an issue

Only advice I can give is, be prepared to move him into your home if you confront him?
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 8:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• my uncle done this for about a yr and was even going days without eating..but he had no source of income..he nearly froze to death sleeping in his truck..family saw him all the time but didnt question him bc of his i can do it on my own attitude..eventually after talking to him he asked for help and said he was just to embarrassed to ask for it..i would just ask and see if he needs help or if its his choice
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 8:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• i would bring it up thats your dad
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 9:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• i would ask him that is your dad. i wouldn't want my dad living in his car. find out if something happened to lead him to living in his van.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 11:17 AM on Jun. 30, 2011