My 4 year old has started pooping in his pants any advice?

I dont know why but for some reason my 4 year old has started to poop his pants. I thought it was because he had the runs a few days ago but he is still doing it. Nothing has changed in his routine other then us moving into a new apartment last month. but he loves it it has a back yard and a pool for him. I just dont understand..PLEASE HELP!

MonkeyMommyNJ

Asked by MonkeyMommyNJ at 7:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• A friend of mine and I had the same problems with our sons around the time they were late3s early 4s. My friend's son started pooping and mine started peeing. They were both potty trained and this came out of nowhere for both of them within a couple months of each other. I'm sorry I don't have any advice other than just give it time I think it might be some kind of natural regression around this age. It may be the change in the apartment other than that just try talking to him.
    Willsmommmie

Answer by Willsmommmie at 8:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• My sister just started having that happen with my neice and she asked the doc... the doc told her that it may be hurting to go to the bathroom so they hold it until they cant anymore and have an accident. She put had her put my neice on miralax to help soften her stool so it wouldnt hurt and she would go properly. I know he may not have the exact same problem... but I know when I have the runs for a few days I get a little sore. He may not know how to handle it. I don't know what the correct answer for him is but maybe this info will give you a new way to look at it to help him. GL :)
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 8:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Ask him if something is bothering him. Talk it over. Might want to run it by your pediatrician too.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 8:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• thanks for the advice..yes it seem to be more like regression...he usually is very vocal about having to go poopoo (he will stop anything hes doing and yell on the top of his lungs I GOTTA GO POO POO) but lately hes just not saying anything and sure enough hes walking funny cause hes had an accident. I hope he grows out of it! i might make an appoint the the pediatrician.
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Comment by MonkeyMommyNJ (original poster) at 8:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• have you punished him and told him that is yucky??
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 4:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• i have punished him to his room and made him wash out his boxers, i havent really yelled at him or spanked him yet because i understand that accidents happen and i dont want to make him afraid to tell me if they do..but then again hes is about to be 4 and hes a big boy and shouldnt be doing this. i dont know what to do i feel pinned against the wall with this one
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Comment by MonkeyMommyNJ (original poster) at 4:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2011