How much would you pay?

How much would you pay a 14 yr old per day for babysitting his 4 siblings from 8 am til 4 30 pm?

MommyWeston

Asked by MommyWeston at 8:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• Seriously, some of you expect a fourteen year old to care for four other children for that much time and not be paid. Y'all are nuts. Whenever my oldest babysits his siblings it is for maybe three hours maximum and he is paid seven dollars an hour. It is not a siblings job to help raise the other kids....
    Anonymous

• Nothing. It's not legal for a 14yo to babysit anyone, not even siblings, in my state. And when he is of age to watch them, they are his siblings - it's his job as the oldest to help with those younger than he is...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• That's a long day for a 14 year old to watch four younger siblings that I'm sure are going to give him a hard time.
    jteffs

Answer by jteffs at 8:11 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• clothes on his back.. roof over his head.... dinner on his plate.. running water.. a good education.. etc
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 8:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• A 14 year old is still your child, not a birthed in babysitter... what can you afford and think is fair? If it were my child I would pay by the hour like I would if a neighbor kid was doing it... fair is fair
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 8:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• i wouldnt leave a 14 yr old with 4 kids for that long.
    Anonymous

• WOW, my oldest would babysit for me & I never paid her. I would have liked to - just did't have the extra money.
    If you have the extra money, I'd say $10 - $15 a day.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 8:11 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• If it's legal in your state for the sitter to be 14 than ask your child what he'd like to get paid...if that's the route you'd want to take. As a sibling, it should be a given for him to help care for his siblings. It may not be his JOB, but he should be willing to help when he can. If it's a reoccurring thing...depends on what he does WHILE he helps with them. If diapers need to be changed or if he gets them to help pick up the house. It's a lot of hours and don't know how many days, but maybe $10 a day if you're looking for a price. Just turn it into an allowance I guess. I'm not sure since with mine...too young, but if they were older...they'd be happy with getting to shop for a video game at the end of the week for doing something they help do anyway. -Shrugs-
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 8:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I used to practically raise my sister while my mom and dad worked.. I got paid in having a home to live in.. food.. clothes....
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 9:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• That seems like an awful lot for a 14 year old...
    MommyCatalina

Answer by MommyCatalina at 10:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2011