Prices hiking on up.....

Where do you live & are food prices & household item prices going up?

I ask this bc SO cant seem to get it through his head that this is happening for us where we live. First of all we moved 3-4 months ago & prices here seem to be more in general. In addition to that they continue to go up higher with every grocery visit it seems.

Today was my trip to town that I make once a week (30mins away). I do it on the day my daughter has gymnastics class in town to save on gas. The rest of the week we literally dont leave our house again to save on gas. He continues to wail at me that we'll never get ahead at this rate blah de da. I dont know why he cant get it through his head but instead just keeps throwing things out there like I must be buying more expensive brands. Um well duh take a look around I am not everything is the same!

I know SO is just feeling the pinch this year we've spent a lot. I was around $1000 just to move & our rent is $100 here more a month. In addition to this we got a new vehicle traded in an older one for down but now have just under a $400 a month payment. He is feeling the pinch now but by golly I cut corners too & actually since we moved I spend less money then I did before & he spends more money then he did before! Part of this is his 30min each way commute to work as well, so I get it we're feeling the pinch but in reguards to grocery shopping & household items I havent changed my habits its just the prices are hiking up out of my control.

So I was just curious if the same was going on where you live?

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 8:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think we are all experiencing the price hikes. I don't think some people understand that there is only so many things we can cut back on purchasing. I shop for three familys. So I purchase at discount stores, try to buy second hand and watch for sales, it is still not enough.
    DeBee13

Answer by DeBee13 at 4:33 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I agree about California's gas prices. I used to live out there, now I live in Nevada. But when I went to visit my Mom in California the gas was $4.00 a gallon.
    But yeah... our food has gone up here too. And I buy the same stuff that I always have.
    But what I have been doing is purchasing on sales at Smith's, (Krogers), when they have things like spaghetti on sale five 1 pound bags for $4.00. And I buy the less expensive milk gallon now.
    And I buy certain things in bulk at the Sam's Club like tomato sauce and paste, meat. Then I put it in freezer bags and freeze.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 8:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• ~*California*~... and my state gets stuck up with prices all the time... only other states worse are New York and Hawaii
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 8:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Oh BTW I live in Maine haha just realized I didnt put that in there! We moved from the state line of Maine/New Hampshire to central/mid Maine three hours away from our old place.
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 8:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I live in CT and our gas prices are always one of the last to go down. I paid 3.83 this morning and I was EXCITED. I feel ridiculous even saying that.

The other thing that kills me is MILK! Even store brand milk (stop and shop, price chopper, etc) is over FOUR dollars a gallon. Price Chopper was 4.19 last week. Luckily Shop Rite normally has a coupon in their flyer for milk for 2.99 but it sucks if they don't do it one week.
    jteffs

Answer by jteffs at 8:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• SeasideNative - bc of where we live we dont have options on grocery stores. It's Walmart, Hannaford (local chain), Shaws, Dollar Tree. I dont get stuff from Dollar Tree bc the portions are smaller & I dont actually think I am getting a deal. I shop mostly at Walmart except I get all my meat & produce from Hannaford a much nicer, cleaner store. Shaws is insane on prices so I never step foot in there. If I were to drive 1 1/2 hours away we have Save A Lot (most of their stuff is awful but there are some things we used to get from there), Trader Joes (never been to one they came just as we moved but I'd love to shop there) & Whole Foods (I hear they are super expensive).

Oh & coupons virtually dont exist up here & the ones online are for brand stuff so its still more expensive even with coupon then no name brands. Plus stores dont double or give back on coupons or anything. Now when there is a good sale I certainly stock up!
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 8:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I live in ny and yes the prices have gone up..I noticed it after the first of the year..
    devsmom98

Answer by devsmom98 at 12:39 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• it sounds like the 100$ more on rent , car payment and 30minute each way (totaling 1hour per day) is what is really taking a total on your budget.......i say keep your reciepts for the next month and show him nothing changed other than these 3 things since you moved and he need to back off......money is the # 1 reason couples fight and sometimes its not worth it......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:07 AM on Jun. 30, 2011