Would you fill a cavity in a baby tooth?

DS (4) has a cavity that will cost $750 to fill. That includes medicine to sedate him as well as the filling. Insurance won't cover any of that. It is not bothering him, but what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• ~*ABSOLUTELY*~... it can and will get to the adult teeth below and easier to save him the trouble later in life
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 8:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I would too. Maybe you can work out a payment plan?
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 8:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• $750 for one tooth?? WTF?? is it a front tooth or a molar?

FYI, when DD was 5 I got her into a pediatric dentist after a few failed attempts when she was 3 and 4 at regular dentists. He said she had one or two small cavities. We ended up moving and blah blah blah, I didn't get her back to see a dentist until a year later, I know I'm a terrible mother...anyway, turns out that little cavity got infected, she had an abscess and they needed to pull the tooth. I know, I'm a horrible mother and I feel awful, but oy....so, just last week she had a molar pulled. But FWIW, that cost us $76, not freaking $750!!! That is outrageous. For that kind of money we'd be forced to take our chances because we couldn't afford that, but if there's some way to get it done cheaper, I'd definitely do it. Why won't insurance pay??
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Thank you. I didn't know about it affecting adult teeth. That makes sense.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Our insurance doesn't include dental, but I will be looking around for something now. It's a molar. He'd have to be sedated and the meds are about 50% of the bill. The medicine would make it less traumatizing and for that, I'll pay the extra money. If he's traumatized this time, there won't be an easy next time. I want it to be easy on him, which is one reason that I thought about not doing it yet. DH suggested pulling it, but I don't know how that would work. It will be years before it would come back in.

The reason it's high, gramsmom, is just like your child wouldn't be still for the dentist, neither would ours. He's terrified. However, we changed to a pedi dentist and he did well today. To be honest, I was expecting a lot more than one. But it is kinda big and dark and I wouldn't want it to get worse. They do have a payment plan through a separate credit card company. I'm going to do some checking.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• You need to find a pediatric dentist - they use nitrous - aka happy gas, and they don't sedate. He will be just fine :)
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 8:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• OUCH! What about going to a dental school through a local college? Those "kids" ALWAYS need patients and the prices are VERY reasonable. When I was playing guinnea pig I'd see kids in there too.

All I really remember was that to get teeth sealed (something my insurance wouldn't cover because I was over 18) was $10 a tooth.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• This is a pediatric dentist and that happy gas apparently costs money. Also, local anesthesia in order to get the shot to numb the area.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• My three year old had to have some dental work cause I was a bad mom and totally didn't think about brushing his teeth and letting him have juice (I have since then changed my ways) but I was told that it will definetly affect their adult teeth and can give them infections in their bodies. It's so hard to think about paying that much money when the tooth is going to fall out soon enough huh? Good luck~ you will make the right decision!!
    HappySam

Answer by HappySam at 2:06 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• my son is 3 he has had several teeth get crowns.. only b/c insurance covered it. if it doesn't hurt him,, wing it for a while.
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 4:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2011