what to do?

I have a 18th month old who likes to throw himself into walls, doors, mirrors on the wall, pretty much anything to try to get what he wants, and sometimes for fun, cause he laughs afterwards. i'm takin him to the doctor and the doc said that it's "normal" which i don't feel it is not for a child who has been doing it since he was 6 months old and does it pretty hard too, and my other two doesn't do it, what to do?

elijosh26

Asked by elijosh26 at 5:39 AM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Kids' Health

• He's trying to get attention don't give it to him. The other two (I assume they are older) didn't have to compete for attention as much because there was less kids around. Try the extinction method, meaning give him absolutely no attention when he behaves that way (unless he hurts himself, then just deal with the boo boo, and go back to ignoring it). As soon as he stops or does something appropriate, give him your immediate attention (that does not mean necessarily giving in to something he's demanding, but simply acknowledge him and what he's saying). I hope this helps. I worked with behavioral disorders for years, if I can help in some other way or if this doesn't work for you, msg me.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 6:02 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Is he throwing a fit to get what he wants? That is how I'm understanding this. My friend had this issue with her son and she would just put him in a safe place with a pillow and let him throw himself allover the pillow. Kids need to have an outlet for their anger and we as parent's should teach them ways that are appropriate for their age and understanding. At that time for him it was just banging his head on a pillow. Now that he's 4 she's able to show him better ways to handle his emotions.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 7:21 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• It's gotten him what he wants...so quit giving it to him. Your Dr. knows and has documented that your kid does this and your family members also see him do it so if he gets a knot on his head or a little something nobody's gonna throw up the red flag. I am sorry, but he sounds like a brat in the making. Just don't play into it or you'll spend the rest of your life running after his every little freak out.
    Anonymous

• Ignore the behavior. When he finds he does not get a reaction out of you, or get him what he wants, he will most likely stop.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 7:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I agree...ignore the behavior. My second boy used to do that....I ignored it and it stopped. He won't do himself any great harm...if it hurts, he'll stop.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:06 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Perfectly normal. I had a head banger, and they're ok now! Hang in there it's a phase.
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 8:48 PM on Dec. 22, 2008