What do I do about my son waking up early, really early ?

My son is 18 months, and a pretty good sleeper. He goes to bed around 7:30/8 and has lately been getting up at 4/4:30. He is used to having a bottle when he wakes and often goes back to sleep, but not every morning, sometimes he is up for good. I do not have a consistent work schedule so we can't always sleep later anyway. I have tried keeping him up later and that has not changed. I have also tried the go in a reassure him every 20 mins thing and he just screams. I have no idea what to do! I am sooo tired and any advice would be great. I would just like him to sleep til maybe 5:30/6, that would be lovely. Oh and he is undersized, so the pediatrician wants him to stay on the bottle a little bit longer, so I can't eliminate that yet. thanks in advance for any help you can give.

adagolden

Asked by adagolden at 5:52 AM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• OH boy.........its going to be hard to put him on a schedule when you cant be. I would cut a nap during the day and have him go to bed an hour later. Put black out curtains (a good thick blanket works too lol) up over the windows. If it was just me and no sig. other was involved........and I needed the sleep. I would put him in bed with me. Thats not always a good thing to start but a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 6:25 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• well, changing his naps is tough, due to the fact that he wakes up at the crack of dawn, he usually sleeps in the car on the way to daycare(25mins or so) and then he takes a solid two hour nap there. This is almost everyday lately, so I do not know that I can get rid of the nap. We tried a later bedtime for a few weeks and he still got up earlier. I wonder if I need to stick with it longer?
    adagolden

Answer by adagolden at 7:34 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Maybe give him more in his bottle before bedtime? If it's a matter of only an hr. that may work. Or try going into overdrive with activities in the afternoon to really wear him out. Good luck.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 10:13 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• We have a cd we use called Toddlin Tunes (by Cathy Bollinger www.rivannamusic.com) . He is allowed to listen to it in his room with his headphones on.
    Hope you get some good answers.
    ellyt

Answer by ellyt at 12:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2008