Sewing Machine?

My poor old sewing machine rusted while in storage. I would really like to start sewing again.. now that I have room for it.
I'm not sure how bad off my machine is.. but not sure it's worth the repair.

I'm debating between a cheap and simple machine.. or something a little upgraded.
I really love my using my mom's embroidery machine.. but it's a 20 minute drive to just go and sew for the day.
Money is tight right now. I plan on using the machine to make some extra cash with some craft projects that I have done before.
What would you suggest? Brand? Cost? Embroidery or Simple ?

4xmommy2008

Asked by 4xmommy2008 at 6:19 AM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• If your machine is rusted, and hasn't been oiled for quite sometime. I am not so sure that taking it to be repaired would be quite cost effective.. Could cost more than its worth.. However, if money is tight and you have a machine available I would talk to your mother about moving her machine to your house to "borrow" it until you can afford another one..
    Good luck,
    dk
    deenakate

Answer by deenakate at 10:43 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I would take it to a sewing machine shop and have them look at it and give you an estimate of repair costs. My parents bought me an Elna machine when i graduate from high school. Twenty-eight years later, it still runs great. I would encourage you to get the best machine you can afford especially if you are going to use it a lot. I used to sew a lot years ago--hope to again. But I love my Elna and feel it is an great machine.
    Would your mom let you take her's home for a week or two?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Another thought....I went with my SIL to one of those "Singer School Model Sales". They claim to be selling an overstock of Singer machines that were purchased/ordered for schools. She bought the mid priced model. We took it home and I set it up for her. (She has MS so she doesn't drive nor could she set it up.) I was not impressed. I tried to get her to go to the sewing center in town and look at some other brands/models before she spent the money. After setting it up, I was even less impressed. It was noisy. It was also the most difficult machine I have ever threaded. I would not recommend it. But I could have been biased by comparing it to my Elna. Anyway, I would not buy one of those!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Dec. 15, 2008