9yo son wants only to watch tv and play games!

The only way he will participate in any activity is to make him. He may start off interested only to want to quit A's soon as something requires a bit if effort. I hate to make him but I want him doing SOMETHING besides tv and video games. Any suggestions?

Cdubb1971

Asked by Cdubb1971 at 9:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I had a little troublewith my nine, now ten year old, always wanting to play videos games. I just slowly disrtacted him from them when I thought he had to much. Now he still plays but not nearly as often and doesnt even realize it. I didnt let him know that i was having him do things instead of video games I would just distract him before he had the oportunity to start playing. so he played less and less.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 9:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• When I was little, we had restricted tv/video game time. My parents pretty much told us to go play outside and that was that.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 9:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Take them away or limit the time! Or enroll him in stuff so he's not home to play it. I had my DS enrolled in a sports camp for a couple hours a day for a five day week. It was pretty inexpensive. Take your son to a local pool or beach. Drag him to the library to pick out books - even if it's comic books or graphic novels.
    Anonymous

• we have a set time that is for video/computer games and a set time for tv. other times when they are bored they play with their other toys, read, go outside, etc. at first they complained, but i stick to it and now they accept it without the grumbling lol.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Take them away! Simple. Then he will have to find something else to do. Sign him up for something, and since he wont have anything else to do ...maybe he will not want to quit so easy. If he claims he is into any fun activities you suggest, then onto the long list of chores you have waiting for him to do...
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 11:15 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• My boys have always been pretty active and video games are an after thought. When my oldest was younger however we went threw some time where he just always wanted to play the video games, (he was about 5). In order to have time to play the video games he had to earn that time and it require things like reading a book, or doing a math sheet...and he would gladly oblige to get that hour.
    I would suggest limiting the time (1 hour a day or something and set the timer), having him work for the time (ie: chores or special assignments) and finding an activity he enjoys maybe a sport, or swimming, or drama or cub scouts or anything really.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• you really need to limit their time on the games and TV. If they give you a hard time, take it away for a few days. You will be surprised how they will go along with the limit on the time. Tell them to go outside and ride their bike or play ball with their friends or some other out door activity. Take them to the park. You can sit and read and they can run around and play on the swings and stuff. You can relax a little too. Also a visit to the library is a good way for the kids to find something they may enjoy reading.
    BrendaW.

Answer by BrendaW. at 4:02 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Kids are like that these days just limit the time and stick with it, also when you punish him you can ground him from them and after about a week or two with no games he will find better things to do. Have a no tv week it gives you fantastic family time!
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 4:24 AM on Jul. 12, 2011