Do you think a woman that had a natural birth is braver than a woman who had an epidural?

Emmajosmommy

Asked by Emmajosmommy at 9:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Woman who choose to give birth are brave period. There are so many complications that could come, so many risk and yet are willing to do it for a sake of a sweet smile.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 10:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• No. I don't think it's about bravery it's about who is more comfortable with their decision. If a woman choses not to use the epideral it's probably because she's more comfortable with not using pain drugs. If a woman does choose the epideral, that makes her comfortable. All women are brave when it comes to giving birth. Point blank.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 9:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Nope-

I am an Nicu nurse, and if I had a dollar for every woman who has told me that they were more afraid of the pain associated with an epidural than that associated with an unmedicated childbirth, I'd have retired years (maybe decades) ago- Irrational? Yes-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:11 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• No... different people feel pain differently, and different babies are giving pressure in different places (ie back labor), they have different lengths of labor, different amounts of family to stress them out, etc.

I had short labors (2, 3 and 4 hours from first sign to end) with easy presentations. I felt almost no pain, especially with #2 and #3. Going epidural-free was an easy decision, they wouldn't have been there on time if they had tried. I know that is not normal!

Many of us are lucky. Many of us are tyring to prove something (which is not a moral superiority at all). The only thing I'd say is brave at all (and totally not me) is a woman who goes through a horrific labour without drugs because she really thinks the baby could be harmed.

I do believe epidurals, in addition to helping pain, can improve labours for some women, who stall due to stress/worry/pain
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Do you think a woman who buys a loaf of sliced bread is lazier than a woman who buys a loaf of unsliced bread? Ask your mom why she buys sliced bread, b/c it's a better invention. Same analogy on child birth/epidural. or just tell her to stop it and you are bothered by it.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 9:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Having an epidural does NOT make you a sissy. I had them with both my girls and was terrified of it and with my second daughter I felt like a shock was going down one side of my body and it was terrible, it went away in about a minute but that was the worst part of both my deliveries. I think you have to be brave to choose either one. I personally chose it because I wanted to be able to be as comfortable as possible and enjoy the birth of my kids not be miserable. Even after I had my epidural I had a few complications that gave me severe pain and headaches for a few weeks. That takes ALOT of bravery to deal with. I'd just tell her you did what was right for you, and that doesn't make you a sissy.
    husky_grlie08

Answer by husky_grlie08 at 9:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Nope... thats their choice. but whats good for one person may not be for another.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 9:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• if one knows there limitations for pain and knows it would probably be too much for them is not any less brave than the one who chose to do it naturally.
    mmsfirstone

Answer by mmsfirstone at 9:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I agree! :) my mom always calls me a sissy because I had an epidural and she had both myself and my sis natural..
    Emmajosmommy

Comment by Emmajosmommy (original poster) at 9:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I know I was scared shitless of getting the epidural but I wanted it.. So I got it. and I don't regret it @ all.. I was so comfortable. If I have another baby.. I will do the same :)
    Emmajosmommy

Comment by Emmajosmommy (original poster) at 9:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2011