• In the Spotlight:

Could my son be allergic to sugar?

Every time he eats sugar he gets super hyper and unruly. He is normally obedient and nice but he just gets so out of control. Is there such a thing as an allergy or?

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 9:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• whats the sugar in?? more likely if its koolaid/hard candy its the dye, and if its chocolate it could be allergic to the chocolate.. I'm allergic to caramel.. and my son has a sensetivity to vitamin C, cant have orange juice late at night cuz he just gets stupid.. lol..
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• My DS has a sensitivity to High Fructose Corn Syrup. When he gets it he gets hyper and MEAN! lmao!! We tried taking dyes out but that did not have as good of a result as eliminating the HFCS. Try removing it from his diet and see how it goes!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• He may be sensitive to it, but that's not an allergy. An allergy is a multi-systemic response by the immune system, meaning it affects 2 or more areas, such as skin (hives), respiratory (asthma), runny eyes/nose etc. Getting hyper from sugar is not an allergy.
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 9:41 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I know this sounds really stupid but I don't allow my daughter to eat ice cream. She gets mean and snobby and doesn't listen. Normally she is so polite and kind and loving but the second she gets ice cream in her she's a different person.
    elliesmum06

Answer by elliesmum06 at 1:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2011