Need Advice Ladies - 4 yr old quitting T-ball

We signed our 4 year old son up for t-ball back in May and he was SO excited to start playing!! We went to his first practice on June 13th and he was a little shy at first, but really enjoyed it! Ever since, he hasn't wanted to do it and it's got worse since. Each time he listens less to the coach and doesn't want to participate as much. Last practice he told us he wanted to quit t-ball and go home, so I made him tell his coach. So his coach told him to come back Wednesday (today) and try playing in their first game before deciding.

We got there today and he acted SO excited! Until about 20 minutes into it, and he was crying because he didn't want to play anymore and just wanted to go home. So we told the coach, and he told our son that he's still welcome to back. At this point, DH and I aren't sure what to do. We paid money for him to play and hate that he's missing out on it, but we also don't want him to think he can just pick and choose what days he wants to play and what days he doesn't...he's either part of the team or he's not.

How would you handle this and where should we go from here? DH thinks I should keep taking him and make him watch the games because he made the commitment to his team to be there, but I don't see it worth my time and energy to take him if he's not going to participate. Ideas? Advice? Experience?

MichaelsMom330

Asked by MichaelsMom330 at 9:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• IME if they are going to be disruptive it is best to 'let' them quit. The catch is they have to tell the coach and apologize to the team. That is just em though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I think you should take him out. At 4 they are still too young to be committed to a sport and will like anything when they see it, than once they get into it, they will show if they like it or not and if pushed to like something they will show that its not for them.

Let him explore other sports.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• well, i would tell him that he chose to do t-ball and i paid for it so he is going to play. if he doesn't want to sign up for it next year that is totally fine...he can pick something else, but for now he has to stick to it. is there something that happened between the 'excited' time and the 'quitting' time? did he fall down? miss a catch or hit? something?? usually it's something small that they didn't do perfectly and that's why they don't want to do it anymore. once you explain to them that everyone makes mistakes and nobody is perfect usually that helps a bit. but my kids know once they pick something that's what they're gonna do until the end....even if it sucks lol.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• oh how i know what you're going through! my ds did this very thing this season. we talked about it endlessly before registering/paying, and he was excited to play. before the games started (after about three weeks of 2-days/wk practices), i could tell he wasn't into it. but we paid to play, bought the uniform/equipment, etc. after the third game, and being stuck in left field every game, with no rotating-out (which i totally didn't get!), he really hated it! i think he would've been happier had we told him we were no longer celebrating xmas!
    so i pulled him.
    he's been a happy camper! i really wanted him to enjoy it, because baseball is my favorite. but he didn't. plus, it wasn't active enough for him..unlike soccer, which he loves! so, we're sticking to soccer from now on.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Ok, I have a 5 yr old daughter that this JUST happened too! She decided midseason she refused to play anymore and had complete meltdowns on the field. She hated it. We took her to EVERY game (except the last but that was b/c they were passing out trophys and I refused for her to be apart of that if she didn't play). She didn't play the last 3 games but she damn sure sat there and watched!! My DH went and picked up her trophy but she isn't allowed to have it cause she didn't earn it! We have it put up somewhere. Not sure what we are going to do with it. I say take him but make sure he understands why he won't be getting the good stuff when the rest of the team deserves it!
    Amanda52007

Answer by Amanda52007 at 10:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Encourage him to finish the session, and don't sign him up again. Y'all committed for X weeks and need to see it through. AFTER that let him quit.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• i would ask him why he doesn't want to play anymore.? if there is a kid picking on him. ? etc.
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 4:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2011