Hard explanations

Yesterday I had to get our 11 yr old Doberman Pinscher put down because she broke her shoulder and it wouldn't have healed. My daughter Audi is 2 and eby has been around every since she was born. How do I tell her that she isnt going to b around anymore? Ive tried to tell her that she is at the doctor getting better but it's not working anymore, she wants to go get her. And before some one says buy her a new dog please dont bc my husband and I aren't ready for that yet. Please HELP

AudinCadesMommy

Asked by AudinCadesMommy at 10:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Pets

• First off what a cool name (Audi) :) I would tell her that she went to heaven to become an angel to watch over her?? hope this helps...(haven't had to deal with this just yet)
    YerMami24

Answer by YerMami24 at 10:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• yeah i would tell her that she went to heaven to watch over her also
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 10:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• She was sick and she went to heaven to feel better.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 10:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Thank you. Her Name is actually Audrie but we fell into callin her Audi. I was goin to try that and take her out tonight and show her the stars and tell her that eby was one and was keeping her safe
    AudinCadesMommy

Comment by AudinCadesMommy (original poster) at 10:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• My teenage daughters told my 2 year old that our cat (hit by a car and had to be put down) had gone to live with someone else out of town. An outright lie, and I would not have told her that, but it calmed her down and she doesn't ask after the cat any more. :/
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 10:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I like your idea of telling her eby is one of the stars though. That's both comforting and not necessarily a lie. ;)
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 10:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• How about telling her that the dog is living on a cloud now with a big toy bone & other dogs to play with. When Nana passed I told our then two year old that she went to live on a cloud with her own house & garden etc. Now my daughter looks up at the clouds & talks about Nana being up there etc. It seemed to have worked well for us btw my daughter is 3 1/2 yo now. Sorry for your lose.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 10:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Id go with the heaven thing too and the star idea is really good. When my DHs grandma died we told our daughter she was in Heaven and she's an angel, of course she was only 2 and didn't totally understand but it worked and she tells us every once in awhile her meme is in heaven. Good luck, hopefully she handles it well, just try not to make it sound like a good thing so she doesn't get too upset about it.
    husky_grlie08

Answer by husky_grlie08 at 10:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• When my daughter was 2 years old my family lost 2 of our childhood cats a mother and son 4 months apart. My daughter loved them both but was convinced that Abby or Meow as my daughter called her was her cat. Abby was 16 years old but did not look or act her age. She had a tumor in her eye though and the cancer spread fast. Abby had been living with my parents but she moved in with me when she got sick so that she would be closer to the vet. It was awful the day I had to put Abby to sleep and Kylie did not understand what was going on. I told her that Abby went to heaven and was not coming home. I don't think Kylie really understood but she excepted it. But she missed Abby for a long time. She was given a doll not to long after that and she named it Baby Abby.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• sorry about your loss. when I had to put my cat down I told my Godchildren that she went to live with my grandma in heaven
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 3:41 AM on Jun. 30, 2011