Do you believe in allowing your child to cry it out when its time for bed or naps?

Why or why not.

mitchellb

Asked by mitchellb at 10:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• Conditionally. I let my children cry it out for 10 minutes, trying to give them time to soothe themselves. However, if their fussing and protesting changes to mad/scared I go in immediately. I think it is important for children to learn how to comfort themselves and also learn how to get themselves back to sleep on their own.

They're now 4 and 7 and perfectly capable of putting themselves to sleep in the middle of the night.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• not for my dd.. she doesn't cry for no reason.. when she cries she needs something... If she is overly tired.. I will hold her until she falls asleep.. So for me.. I don't believe in this method.. but everyone has to do what works best for them :)
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 10:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• at times there are times when my dd's are inconsoleable where they dont want anything they dont want me to do anything for them so i just lay them down put cartoons on and wait for them to sleep thats only whenever i have to other than that i havent had to do so.
    raeyliNlilysmom

Answer by raeyliNlilysmom at 10:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Yes, eventually they realize its time to sleep and lay down instead of crying. It helps with a schedule.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 10:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Ok seriously this is a nerve issue with me, my son was colic for 6 months, more that even most colicky chilren and when he wasn't going though an episode he was still crying, he literally had zero self soothing abilities beause he was crying ALL the time,
    I recen't brought him to a sleep clinic, he is 3-1/2 now and this STILL affects him, I tried non CIO methods from no cry sleep solutions, happiest baby on the block and one other book I don't remember right now but I tried and tried and OMG.. I tried, finally after him waking every 30 mintues for 3 days straight, literally and was a horrible sleeper / napper before this, I brought him to the Ped for the billionth time and he basically said this was ( CIO ) my last option and very NEEDED. it worked in 2 days.... to ALL my surprised, then at 2 this restarted all over again from an illness.. he stil goes in to panic mode like an infant because he has no self soothing skills.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• At times its ok to let them cry..as long as u know nothing is really wrong with them
    devsmom98

Answer by devsmom98 at 12:14 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I did not do CIO,my son was born with heart issues and not allowed to cry,he would turn blue and need oxygen.His cardiologist told us do not let him cry,he had open heart surgery when he was 15 months old
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 1:23 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• baby's, no. kids? depends on why they are crying. If my kids are overly tiered, they will cry at bed time regardless of what I do. I could hold them, rock the, feed them a mound of sugar... it doesn't matter, they will cry till they go to sleep. But when they are like that, they will go to sleep sooner if I just back off, kiss them good night, and leave them be.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:35 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• No, it's cruel and makes the child not trust the person who they feel should love and nurture them
    Anonymous