Membrane Stripping.

I got my membranes stripped with my first son and it took 2 days for my water to break.. When they did my stripping the first time I was 1cm, and only 50% effaced. They are stripping my membranes tomorrow with my second, I'm 3cm and 90% (as of last appt). I was wondering if it will help me just like it did the first time?

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Insane to the Membrane, Insane to the Brain!

• it probably will

Answer by mamawilbur at 11:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Chances are, if it took 2 days for anything to happen the first time, the stripping of the membranes didn't actually do anything, your body was just ready for labor. Generally speaking, if stripping the membranes is going to help at all, it does it within a matter of hours, maybe a day.

But regardless, every pregnancy is different. It might help, it might not. No telling until after the fact.

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I'm putting money down that you will be having that baby tomorrow! Good luck!

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Your water broke but did you go into labor?
    Can't say regarding "help" --not sure what happened there.

But it might start your labor, maybe not.
    Be sure to ask the questions about risks-benefits.
    (It's definitely too risky for me, personally.)

Answer by doulala at 1:53 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• That's a great way to get labor jump-started. I would plan to be going to LDR over the weekend.

Answer by JSD24 at 9:12 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I was dilated and effaced exactly the same as you when I had my membranes stripped and i went into labor about 3 hours afterward. Goodluck!

Answer by fergie92 at 10:38 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• My water broke with my first without any contractions.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. My first time was super painful and this time it was painful but not near as bad. Been having some cramping with a contraction here and there.

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2011