So I am getting laid off and I might be pregnant...

So I have or had this great job making great money. SO and I were ttc. Everything was going great until yesterday when I heard that a bunch of people were going to be laid off and I am one of them. If I lose my job we might possibly lose the house and everything. Im freaking out because I might be pregnant. Its to early to tell right now if I am pregnant so I cant take a test. Im so scared. Anyone have any suggestions or support for me? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Money & Work

• Im really sorry to hear that :-/

But when you and your SO were TTC anyway, then you KNEW that you wouldnt be able to work for much longer anyway and that the money would be getting a little tight. So it shouldnt be that much of a change. I really dont feel like judging you and i know that shit like this happens all the time. But when your family is depending so much on your job, then why even TTC?!

You should def. go to your OB and get a blood test done as soon as you are late. Until then, you shouldnt worry too much right now. If you are not pregnant, then you might want to think about protection until the financial situation is getting better.

Please dont get this answer wrong. I really dont judge you, becaue what happened to you (get laid off) is absolutely not your fault.

I wish you lots of luck.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:42 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• update your resume and start applying to jobs like crazy. stop ttc if you are not preggo now. get a job waiting tables in the meantime to bring in some extra $$. you can actually make quite a bit doing that. cut back on ALL other UNNECESSARY expenses like movies, drinking, cigs, eating out, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Well thats the thing. We were saving up so when I did take time off we would have PLENTY of money to last us and in case an emergency came up. We planned to save like 3 or 4 thousand to be our net. Sounds like alot but if something goes wrong with our car or if something goes wrong we can pull it out of that fund and not be hurting for money. But now that Im getting laid off I do need to get protection if Im not pregnant because that would put us in a bad place. Unfortunately we only got a couple hundred saved so far so we are going to have to use that very wisely. Im just so scared right now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• just hang in there. things have a way of working out. just get out now and be proactive in finding something before you are huge (from being preggo) if you are. i'd start looking today. get off the computer, stop trying to get support from us and get another job. that sounds really harsh...i didn't mean it like that. but sitting on-line is not going to help you at all. good luck to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• : m.robertson811, yes she knew she was trying to conceive but didn't aknow she was going to be laid off. She would have been on maternity leave and still have her benefits so I think your comment was uncalled for, you say you didn't want to judge but you did!

For OP see with your lay off if they are still going to offer benefits, also check into wic and if worse comes to worse you may need to file for welfare. I wish you the best.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Start putting out your resume, no need to worry about beging PG yet, either way you can't change that. Keeping or finding a job is the most important thing. I was in a situation where I had to make some extra income for a few months, I found some really good ways to make money online. So, if you’re looking, it’s free, you have nothing to lose, you should go to http://www.freewebs.com/free2workathome/

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 9:54 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• at 2:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 by: Anonymous

DUH!!!! of course she didnt know she was going to get laid off.. might want to read my post again... and you dont know if she would get benefits when on maternity leave. sadly, not every company does that these days. But that doest even matter.

if she is not pregnant, then she has to start putting out resumes again and not TTC... thats all.

god how i hate those anonymous posters that dont have the balls to show their face when they start being idiots...
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:17 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Well first, come down and take a breath. You CAN NOT start freeking out and dwelling on the worst that could happen. If you do, it will. I remember when I was laid off my job. It was not a good thing but I didn't panic. I said a prayer and let it go. I then turned all of my focus and attention on the good things and what I could do to make things better. I never focused on what was wrong. See in my experience, when I focused on what was wrong or played different scenerios (in my head) on what bad was going to happen, it always got worse. You have to change the movie. Play something different in your head. For example, imagine picking up another job or see your self paying your mortgage without any problems. You will be suprised how well things will work out. Stay positive
    tpalmer

Answer by tpalmer at 12:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I know that this migh sound silly....but have you ever thought about a home based business? Avon is a great way to make money. And it's only $10 to start selling. I started cuz I needed extra money for xmas. I fell in love with it. I don't know if you have a degree or something that you would like to put to use...but you could sell Avon in the meantime. send me a message if this sounds interesting. I am also very sorry for you. I hope things get better for you soon!
    Melanie4Avon

Answer by Melanie4Avon at 4:04 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I thought they cannot lay you off while you are pregnant. The same thing happened to me in California and they told me I could not be laid off so they extended the date until after i gave birth. It was worse for me because it is hard to look for jobs before losing that baby weight!.

I would look for a job quickly if I were you - just start looking, sign up with an agency so they can look also. It also depends on how marketable your skills are right now in this job market. Remember you'll get unemployment and hopefully a severance package.

Good luck!! I know exactly how you feel.
    Avon_Calling

Answer by Avon_Calling at 8:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2008