What do I do if my baby confused his days and nights?

idk what to do... we've done everything we could think of and nothing's work... I'm hoping maybe someone could help me

ZazaGoszzy

Asked by ZazaGoszzy at 12:44 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you made sure to have every curtain/blind/window/door open during the day to let in every ounce of light and sound?
    Then in the late afternoon you start shutting those things. In the evening you slowly start turning off the lights in the house and by the time it gets to bedtime you are working only with a bedside lamp.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 12:52 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Your baby is not confused. If a baby is sleeping a lot during the day he or she is going to be up all night. Sometimes a baby will shift their sleeping pattern. If you're lucky they will sleep at night, but that can change suddenly and you will be up all night again. My mom told me to sleep when my baby is sleep. Its been a while since I had a baby, but maybe this will help you to get more rest if your baby is keeping you up at night. Just sleep when your little angel is sleeping!
    Iluvautumn

Answer by Iluvautumn at 12:55 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• my son did that when he was about a week old. we essentially just waited it out. i'm sorry, i know that doesn't help much :( we do use a white noise machine only at bedtime, so maybe he started to recognize that and realized that bedtime is different than daytime or naptime.

i hope things get better for you soon! hang in there mama!
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 12:56 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I know what it's like, my middle one was the same way and in our case it took years to get him changed completely. When he was little, we tried everything and he was always out for the night before supper and up around 3 or 4. When he got older- about 8-10 he finally started changing. I don't know what to tell you. Every kid is different. Hopefully yours will soon change. I remember finally deciding to just to do what I could. I would take naps when I could and just let him sleep when he needed to. I was working part time coaching gymnastics for many years, he would be crash curled up in his blanket in a corner of the gym most of the time...the other two would be running around...... You can try to just keep him up later..... Good luck....
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 12:57 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• thanx everyone for the advice... i really appreciate it :-)
    ZazaGoszzy

Comment by ZazaGoszzy (original poster) at 12:59 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• We tried the light thing (keeping him exposed to night during the day and dark at bight), we tried keeping him up (he'd fall asleep no matter how hard we tried!). He felt that nights were from 6AM to 2PM, and he liked to party until 6AM. It was EXHAUSTING, to say the least! Then, somehow at 10 weeks, I think teething set in, and practically overnight, he switched his nights to 10PM to 6AM. It was like a miracle! I was THRILLED! How old is your LO? They may just figure it out on their own. Give it some time. Hang in there, mama, and nap when you can!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:01 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• he'll be 4 weeks on friday
    ZazaGoszzy

Comment by ZazaGoszzy (original poster) at 1:16 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• As funny as this may sound; "flip" your baby. My cousin believed in this and at first I thought she was crazy as hell1 But after months of the same routine I was desperate and willing to try it! Amazingly; it worked! What I mean by "flip" Take you baby in you arms facing you; cradle their head and flip them around by turning them upside down in your arms away from you so their feet are in the air. Then flip them back around so they are head up and facing you again. Have someone help you. I swear it works!!!!!!!

Mom_Of_3_Angelz

Answer by Mom_Of_3_Angelz at 2:53 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• When all 5 of mine were little I woke them at least every 3 hours during the day to eat and did everything I could think of to keep them awake. At night I would let them sleep as long as they would - it didn't take them long to start taking their longer sleeps at night.

Answer by missanc at 8:36 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Normal stuff. Keep things dark at night, bright in the daytime.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2011