Has anyone got a house through HUD?

just curious how long it took you to get approved. I put in our application last week. I hate the waiting game. From the way it sounds we will get the place, the woman i talked to said as long as we dont have any criminal convictions, and we dont, and as long as we been in one place for at least 2 years with a good standing on rent, which we been in this place 4 years and never had a problem with paying bills. The only thing they are waiting on is for the background check and they were in the process of doing that when i called today.
this house is rent to own, 10 years and its ours.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Money & Work

• I was on waiting list for 24 months and then they extended it. But, I have a friend who HUD helped them buy a house. HUD pays their mortgage (or a portion of it, i'm not sure) but if they ever sell the house, they have to pay back whatever HUD put into paying for it.
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 1:28 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I don't think HUD will do rent to own. You will probably have to find something else. I have HUD and it took us a year to get approved because there was a long waiting list.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• yes this is rent to own, it states that in the contract and in the letter we got from them. They built several houses just for lower to middle income people to but houses. these house were built by my current land lord, which is really a contractor for this area. because these are rent to own the local hud agency handles them and not my landlord.
    letter states:
    Thank you for your intrests in Crown homes located in "town,state". Currently we have a 3 bedroom home available rent to own for 450 per month. please return the tenant policy and application fee by monday june 27. This is a first come first serve basis. We ask that you do not use white out on the application as it is against regulations of the Internal Revenue Service. If you have any questions please call our office.

we turned everything in last week, so just waiting to hear back
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:03 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Good luck! I didn't know HUD did rent to own, I'm gonna look into it.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 1:07 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Our HUD program doesn't do rent to own, but they do have a program where you help build your house and others' houses and "work" off the down payment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I didnt know they did either until i got a call from them. My land lord referred us to the local agency here. I re-read the policy thing and it states in there that it is the first time home buyers program, we are just gettin financing through HUD. I live in a very very rural area in the mid-west. where i live now i have corn fields on both sides of me and where this house development is at is also surrounded by corn fields lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:17 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• these were built between 2004 and 2006, the one we may be getting was built in 2006, its one of those housing projects. the downfall is all of the house in this neighborhood look the same and have the same layout. the town home i live in now was built in 2004 and these are strictly rented and also considered a housing project. originally these town homes were rent to own but had the problem of no one wanting to stay cause the rent here is so high and no basement. I found out recently from one of the managers here that by building those houses on the other side of town and doing the rent to own through hud that the company got a huge tax write off.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:26 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• thats what i heard to, about paying back whatever is paid in. Im not too worried about that cause i dont plan on leaving anytime soon. I moved a lot when i was a child and it was soo stressful. I dont want to put my kids through that. I almost feel bad that the boys will have to go to another school this fall if we get it. and my husband's family lives in town, he is from here and never lived outside the state until we got married, and he hated it so we came back.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:39 AM on Jun. 30, 2011