Anxiety attacks

I'm very stressed about our financial situation and because of that lately I've been having anxiety attacks pretty much every day. Should I be concerned that I could have a heart attack?

Ashoonik

Asked by Ashoonik at 12:55 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Health

• Anxiety attacks make it feel like you are having a heart attack but you are not. I am not a dr, but I do have panic disorder and have learned to control it myself without medication. It takes time and patience and a lot of focus on relieving stress. It does get better with the right attitude and help. Of course, you should always check with your dr to rule out underlying conditions or triggers. Good luck and HUGS!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:59 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Kword has the right idea! I too suffer from frequent anxiety/panic attacks, and we all know they're not fun. The one thing you should know and keep in mind is they're not as abnormal as you may think. It's basically your body responding to the "fight or flight" mode. When they do strike, try to control your breathing and tell yourself something like "relax" or "chill out". Always know and remember that it is just a moments phase where it WILL pass. With a state of mind like "ok, it's happening, let me just ride it out until it's over", it'll be much easier for you to overcome it in the moment. It won't hurt to talk to your doctor if it's truly worrying you, but a heart attack is not something you will have to be concerned about. Good luck! And I too am here for you if you need a shoulder to lean on :)
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 1:42 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• It took me a while to find things that worked for me. I use deep breathes and try to focus on the fact that I know what it happening and that it WILL pass. My husband massages or rubs my back and/or feet. That really helps. Something different works for everyone, though. For emergencies where I cannot make one go away on my own, I have been prescribed a mild drug called Vistaril that can be used to calm nerves and help you sleep. I have had a terribly tough year and started having them again last year. I haven't had one in about 3 months now that I have had to take medicine for. It's definitely worth talking to your dr about. Good luck! If you need someone to talk to, you can message me.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 1:20 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• If it will add to your stress NO! try to find ways to lower your anxiety. Try listening to some soothing music, go for a walk, try meditating. Does worrying about your finances make them any better? If the answer is no then try not to worry about them. I know that is easier said
    than done, but you need to try to do something other than worrying. Good Luck
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 1:03 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• you should go see your dr. just to be safe good luck.
    Layce8504

Answer by Layce8504 at 1:04 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I totally agree with DJsMommy610. The state of mind she is talking about to get past it is essential. This is because when you start having a panic attack, generally your first reaction is to fight it. Well, if you fight it, it makes it worse. You sort of have to just give into it to keep it from getting worse. As terrible as they are (I've often described them as the worst feeling/experience anyone can ever have), they DO go away, and trying to fight them off does only make them worse. It may help to talk to a counselor/dr who has experience with treating panic attacks. Talking to others who know what you are going through helps a lot as well. Again, good luck.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 1:54 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I did that and the dr. found my blood pressure very high so get checked.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 2:55 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Try breathing into a paper bag it helps, make a daily habit of going for a walk,journal,try standing in "tree pose" it's a hard enough pose but it works for me to stop anxiety.g/l feel better.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:37 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• There is some good advice on this page. But no, I wouldn't worry about a heart attack. If you had one, you'd know it.
    AprilSoprano

Answer by AprilSoprano at 9:44 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• As silly as it sounds, a lot of times when you try to fight it, it will make it worse because you will literally have anxiety over having anxiety lol. That's why it's important to focus on it as something mundane and normal, even boring! It sounds absurd but I promise it will help.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 10:09 AM on Jun. 30, 2011