Vomiting & Hives? Hospital said allergic reaction to stomach virus. Is this possible?

My 5 month old daughter started vomiting & did so for several days, no fever or other symptoms. I called the doctor soon after it started and was told probably a stomach virus and call back if she starts with fever. No fever but after several days of vomiting then she broke out with hives. I rushed her to emergency room and they said, "allergic reaction to stomach virus." A nurse in my family said, never heard of such...so should I get another opinion or has anyone ever experienced this. Still no fever. She did swell so much even her eyes were swollen shut. The hospital only recommended Benadril.

Abby1084

Asked by Abby1084 at 8:41 AM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Sounds like it is part of the virus process itself...you could class it as a reaction...her body is trying to fight it off. But I would take her to her doctor if she was swelling that much. As for Bendadryl...it's about the only thing they can give her at that age and it is the safest thing.
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 8:58 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• It's true that you can have a reaction to a virus. And benadryl should work well. If not, there are other medications that could be used along with it like zyrtec.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:19 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Yes, it is possible, but if you still feel there is a problem, don't hesitate to go back to the doctor or hospital for follow up.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 1:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Did the Benedryl help? If so, allergic reaction sounds right.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:37 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I had an allergic reaction to a virus once, but never heard of a baby having one. I guess it's possible, though. For me, I just let it work its way through my system. If the Benedryl is helping, I would just wait it out.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Ok, so I'd be freaking out that they tell you to give a 5 MONTH OLD benadryl? Uh........I would question that. I'd definitely get another opinion. The hives could just be part of the virus thing. There's all kinds of weird things out there, but I'd get a second opinion just in case.
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 8:47 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• My daughter just went through the same thing. Her Peditrician said that it was a reaction to the virus. He told us to use Benadryl.
    JRFAITH

Answer by JRFAITH at 12:34 PM on Feb. 23, 2009