Back to school shopping

What do you moms do for your teenaged children before they go to school, I'd like to know from moms who are struggling to keep food on the table and a roof over your head. My kids need backpacks,shoes,clothes,along with all the necessary things for school like binders,notebooks,pens,pencils. I hate to send them off with thrift clothes cause we never find anything cute,but may have to this year. Believe it or not my kids don't have much for clothes and shoes. My boys each have one pair of shoes.

MarGeee

Asked by MarGeee at 1:30 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in

• My teenager is eating us out of house and home. This summer, we have been eating a lot of sandwiches and going through many loaves of bread. I, too, may have to buy school clothes and shoes from a thrift store. I have a hard time finding anything that is my DS's style in clothes. He has grown out of most of his clothes.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:43 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Do you have ANY money to work with for clothes? Target usually has good prices on T-shirts and jeans and you can usually get good prices on things at Penney's or Sears at certain times (just have to watch for it.) Keep an eye on clearance sales as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• It is usually still hot here when school starts so my kids just wear what they have been wearing all summer. I try to shop a little bit at a time--maybe one pair of jeans or shoes this week and then something else the following week.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 11:55 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I refuse to buy shoes at thrift stores. Clothes I have no problem with but not shoes. Shoes form to a persons foot so used shoes are not going to support your foot properly.

As for clothes, my son has uniforms so a couple pair of khakis and 5 collared shirts is all he needs. I get them on sale at JcPenney. JcPenney ALAWAYS has sales, the best sales ever. Their clearance clothes go up to 80% off.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I shop when the after school sales start

Answer by rkoloms at 10:47 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• shop thrift stores; garage sales; craigslist things like that we have had to do this and we have gotten alot of nice things you just have to look things over and be picky about what you buy
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 6:59 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I would call the local churches in your area because they may know of programs that help with that kind of thing... You don't have to go to the church or even believe what they preach, but they will most likely know of something because programs usually contact the churches in the area because they know of people who need the help usually.... GL!
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 4:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Try a place like Catholic Charities if you have one.
    call 211 if you have that.
    Your church can have resources and so should your school.
    Good Luck.
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 12:49 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• check with your friends or community through the church sometimes families with children a little older than your might be able to swap clothes and shoes with you and other families.
    cayenaroja

Answer by cayenaroja at 11:30 AM on Jul. 30, 2011