Is this fair? also posted in shopping

We were at a chain store yesterday(known for phones,cameras,...) and DH finds a cell phone for $30.00 and decides he wants it. We go to check out and rep says $89.00,we are like no sale price is 30. Well the sale was over the day before but signs were still displayed,we got the phone for sale price but the manager had to make up the difference from his own pocket. He said it was his responsibility since he didn't notice sale was still posted.there was not a time limit or date on sign when sale started/ended

RobinChristine

Asked by RobinChristine at 2:04 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Money & Work

• I think he lied about having to take it out of his pocket and I do think you should have gotten it for sale price. It is not your fault they didn't do their jobs right. And it is also faule advertisement had they not given it to you at sale price.
    ashlrenee

Answer by ashlrenee at 2:10 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I paid using credit card and he put $30.00/tax on card and the rest in cash,he also pulled money from his pocket.
    RobinChristine

Comment by RobinChristine (original poster) at 2:13 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Just because he did something for show, doesn't mean that money didn't go right back into his pocket when you left. Companies have accounts for this sort of thing and expect errors from their employees. He was probably making it up because he wanted to get full price. I have NEVER heard of any company that does that, especially a chain store. However, if the ad is up, it's a law they must give you that price.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• That is what I thought also. They took the ad down before we were even out of the store.
    RobinChristine

Comment by RobinChristine (original poster) at 2:40 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Did he charge you tax on the $30 or on the $89?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• The store did the honorable thing. It could be company policy that the manager pay the difference as it was his error. Cashiers have to cover a short drawer if it's on their shift. If you want a straight answer try talking to someone actually in the heirarchy.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 10:54 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Depends.. If they are a commissioned base business, I can see this form of "accountability management" being the policy...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2011