Subsidized Housing Tenants Live Large On Taxpayer Dime..... How would you feel about this in your area?

FAIRFAX, Va. -- Resort-style swimming pools with fountains and heated spas, billiards rooms, granite counter tops, ceramic tile, indoor basketball courts, stainless steel appliances -- many Fairfax County taxpayers cannot afford such luxuries.  But they are paying for these amenities for use by low-income residents who live in subsidized housing in affluent neighborhoods.

"They're a part of our rental program where we subsidize the rents for the individuals in the units, and we end up having to pick up the condo fees," supervisor Pat Herrity told 630 WMAL News.

Herrity does not advocate putting low-income residents in "ghetto-style" housing but he takes issue with taxpayers who cannot afford such luxuries being forced to pick up the tab for people who qualify for subsidized housing.

"These are resort-style amenities that the majority of the taxpayers that are subsidizing it don't have on their own," said Herrity, adding that "luxury has no place in subsidized housing."

"If the occupants of these homes improve their lives financially, they will be forced to move out.  And the housing they could afford without the taxpayer subsidy is well below the quality of these homes," he said.

Herrity said Fairfax County should sell subsidized housing units located in affluent neighborhoods and stop paying the condo fees.

"Why would we have taxpayers who are trying to work their way into these neighborhoods pay for somebody else to be put into these neighborhoods," said Herrity.

PHOTOS CLICK HERE: Examples of Homes and Amenities Provided at Taxpayers' Expense in the County's Rental Program

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 2:05 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Wow. That's wild. Pools, spas, billiards, fitness room? I can't believe that's subsidized housing!
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 2:09 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• All this does is piss me off! I'm so sick of working my ass off so we can pay for people to live BETTER than I am. Remember, they also get free prescription coverage, food stamps, wic. and whatever else is out there that the govt. will hand out. I actually had a customer tell me today that she was glad we worked so she can get her prescriptions for free! Her medical problem is laziness! She works under the table as well as her husband, to avoid paying taxes because WE owe them! Her words, not mine! She's 24 and he's 25. Together they have 4 kids and take vacations! Great! Don't rub it in! I'm 52 and have been working most of my life for everything, I've never expected anyone to hand me a thing! Subdidized housing my ass!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 2:19 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I agree Kathy... The Entitlement mentality is completely out of hand...
    grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 2:22 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• It's become a ME world, not a WE world! It's all about me! Where did this start? I didn't raise my sons this way. They both started working at 16. It really gets old.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 2:28 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• That's absolutely ridiculous. I'd love to see what would happen if all the lazy people had to actually work for a living instead of being handed everything. Lets set a cap on how long you can mooch off the government!
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 2:44 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• our area does not have anything this grand but what bothers me is our apts that are for low income have 24/7 county sherrifs on site while in the neighborhood crime is happening
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 2:45 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• oh what the hell is up with that!?! Damn lazy bastards. In the article I read, some guy said something like "when they improve their financal situation, they will have to move" The hell they won't!! If I lived in something like that, I would sponge off the government for as long as I could!! @Robin.....I had to work in our low income housing or more commonly known as the housing projects for 3 yrs. There is a total of 12 different housing projects site and I worked them all. Biggest problem I had was drugs and the never ending violence. Every night, it seemed 1 person was always shot on one of these housing sites. I have been shot at by residents cause we were putting a damper on their drug dealing, somebody tried to take my gun cause they thought I was an easy target being a woman. Well he quickly learned I was not a typical female and thats what he gets for thinking when he isn't used to it. >>>>>>>>>>
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 4:00 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• >>>I broke his shin when i kicked with my boots when I was trying get away. These houses used to be real nice about 10 yrs ago, although not as nice at that place in Fairfax county. Niow it looks like shit. I wonder how long it will take for this beautiful housing to be destroyed cause since they didn't earn it except for them reproducing like rabbits! So they figure its not theirs, so why should they take care of it.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 4:24 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• in my area low income housing does not have those amenities and i used to live in 1. i get wic and food stamps my hubby works , i have medical problems so i am unable plus i have kids that have medical issues and for those saying we produce like rabbits that is not always the case. for instance i had a baby this year i was not expecting to have not gotten pregnant in 8 years and hubby was working a excellent job before he got injured so we had medical intervention to have the 2. not knowing i could even have 1 without. i asked to be sterilized but they changed my insurance and my doctor does not take the one i have so now it is a race against time. and it looks like i may once again have to go into a apartment subsidized to get on my feet because the kids need their own rooms not cramped in with 2 other people. i hope and pray you never need any kinds of assistance because if you do you will eat your words

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:44 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• There is no way to make everyone happy. Alot of housing is not safe, ie drugs, gangs and other stuff. There are good people that just need help. Not everyone uses the system. I don't have an issue with it, but I do think they need to make all government housing safer.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 5:23 AM on Jun. 30, 2011