What happened to innocent until proven guilty? a friend is accused of molesting a child adult content

I have this guy friend, james, and my other friends, tom and his wife are accusing him of molesting their 5 yr old daughter. james and tom are cousins. so supposedly when james and hes girlfriend, my deceased step daughter, stayed with tom he had touched the girl. while james has made some bad decisions before i cant see him doing this. bad decisions being getting married to his ex after his fiance, my step daughter, was buried. side note, my step daughter was killed in an accident, November 2010, where a semi clipped james car and sent them into oncoming traffic my step daughter was doa, her neck snapped. james had minor injuries.
ok back to the accusations, i cant see james ever doing that to a child, now tom's brother sam yes i could see him doing that since he is a registered sex offender and likes young girls. i had went to tom's house a few times to drop stuff off and tom and his wife would be out and they left sam to take care of the girls.(this is before james stayed with them) one of those times i went over there sam was upset cause the 18 month needed a diaper change and he didnt want to do it. so i changed the baby's diaper then called tom and asked him why he would allow sam around the girls. after the 3 rd time i went over there and sam was watching the girls i called cps and the cops. i know i should of done it the first time i caught him there.
i had been told by my step daughter when she lived there that sam would come over a lot to get on the computer, and she didnt like him. I had told james and her that sam is a sex offender and told them how he got busted in a local sting, moms (cops) offering their daughters. james flipped out cause he didnt know, it wasnt widely publicized and the family kept it hush hush. as soon as they left my house they packed up and moved out of toms house to live with his dad. and while they were leaving james and tom got into about tom not sayin sam was a pedophile and was mad that he was around the girls.
what i think happened is that it was sam who touched the girl but they are blaming james cause if cps found out that sam was there they would loose their kids and sam would go back to prison.
so now everyone is hating james and he got beat up the other night while fishing on the bridge over the river. he has lost nearly all of his friends cause of this. the only thing the cops did was talk to him and then they dropped it cause of insufficient evidence, the cops are now investigating sam.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Relationships

• What a mess. I think "innocent until proven guilty" doesn't hold true for sex offenders who prey on children, and that's really unfortunate for those who really ARE innocent. People would rather ostracize him just in case he's guilty because people are really paranoid that way. It's sad but true.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 2:51 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• It usually doesn't apply to those accused of molesting children.

But just so you know... Just because someone doesn't seem like the type to molest a child doesn't mean anything. People lie and hide things all the time. And just because he isn't a registered sex offender, doesn't mean he isn't a sex offender. Every sex offender starts somewhere.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• while i agree that yes sex offenders start somewhere, but in this case james lacked opportunity. he wasnt ever alone with the girls, my step-daughter was always with him and they never watched the girls alone, my step daughter had my sister over all the time. and if he had done anything with them around he would not be alive right now.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:04 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• i don't know your friend james and he might be innocent but in a case like this "child molestation accusation" the accused is guilty until proven innocent. IMO. AND it is very unfortunate but thats how society sees cases like this.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 3:20 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Sadly some people don't care if James did it or not. They will always look at him in a bad way. I don't judge people unless a conviction is there. I have 2 friends that are S.O.'s but my kids have never met either one of them. They have both done their time, one was prison the other wasn't and neither seem like the type.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 5:16 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Innocent until proven guilty applies in court, but when it comes to my kids, if you're accused of molesting a child, it's guilty until proven innocent. Sorry, but fairness does not apply when it comes to protecting a child.

It sucks for your friend if he didn't do this, but you are making a lot of your own assumptions here. You're saying he couldn't do this because he doesn't seem the type, didn't have opportunity, and your step daughter was there. Think about how many people are convicted of ANY crime and all their friends say "he didn't seem the type." As for opportunity and your step daughter being there, you don't know that she didn't step out for a few minutes and he "changed a diaper" or something. Especially with her no longer around to contradict him, he could claim she never left when in fact she ran to the store, or who knows what.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:12 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Innocent until proven guilty is a term for the courts, not society. Society is going to judge you regardless and when you are accused of something this horrible it should be expected. Unfortunately even if he is not convicted it will always stay with him unless he moves.

Answer by gemgem at 11:00 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• i have to agree with gemgem society is going to judge in something as sensitive as this. I hope that everything gets sorted out for him. it's unfortunate that he has to go thru this but think about the child in this scenario as well.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 11:03 AM on Jun. 30, 2011