To Baby Proof or Not to Baby Proof

I feel strongly against baby proofing my home, some family members have disagreed. but i feel that a child must be taught not to touch things that they are not supposed to. Not to just take those things out of the equation. i have always kept the sharp objects like knives and scissors and the medications up high those are obvious. But i never went the lengths as to cover the sockets lock, the cabinets, put those funky things over the door knobs, or lock the toilet seat..things like that. i have always just taught my son not to touch them. I used to smack his hand if he tried and he learned pretty quickly not to touch. As he got older I would just be very honest with him. Like telling him he will die if he drank poison. He is now 4 and all i have to do is say its dangerous and he will just leave it alone no questions asked. My family members disagreed with me at first, but once they saw that my method worked, i never heard another peep from them. Also not everywhere you take your child is baby proofed so i feel it is important that they know that they are just not allowed to touch things instead of just locking, covering and padding things. Let me know your feed back

MonkeyMommyNJ

Asked by MonkeyMommyNJ at 3:09 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I agree with you, we don't baby proof either. We do put chemicals, sharp objects and medications away, but we leave breakables within reach, I always have a candle (lit most of the time) on the coffee table, etc. I never had a problem just telling hem no and showing them that the candle is hot and that it would hurt.

It's nice that we can go to other people's homes and my kids knew how to act and to not touch things.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:04 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• baby proof for sure; prevention is better than cure.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 3:14 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• We did both. We couldn't lock our cabinets. WE did have door knob covers on a few specific doors. We did have outlet covers. We did remove certain items from reach and we replaced the stuff on the bottom of one bookcase with children's books. We also stayed on top of the kids and reinforced the concept.

While the world is not babyproofed, it's also unrealistic to think I can be there 24/7. A mom's got to use the bathroom once and a while. The precautions were in place for the times I just couldn't be on top of a curious toddler with undeveloped impulse control. as soon as they could better control their impulses and had internalized the "don't touch" message, we removed the various contraptions.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 7:43 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I put up the obviously dangerous and use the outlet plugs. There are just some things that crawling babies don't understand and toddlers don't get at first. 'Don't touch, that will hurt you' doesn't typically sink in at first and I refuse to smack the hand, I will never understand doing that, of a curious baby when I could just put it up. As they get older more things come down, not everything is still locked but things that could be deadly are still locked up. I take time to talk and explain but I do have a house to take care of, school work to do, budgeting, errands, and every now and then I have to do to the bathroom. I think it's naive at best to say no parent should ever baby proof and hover 24 hours a day to make sure their kids don't get into a possibly deadly situation.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 9:22 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I do baby proof some things. The fridge for one. but everything else that is baby proof are things that I'm not willing to take a risk with... cleaning supplies, sharp objects, meds, supplements, ect.

Yes, you cannot baby proof the world, but you do need to use common sense and protect them from the things that can cause serious damage while they learn.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I've got six kids and never baby-proofed anything. I just watch them (or have someone else watching them) all the time and yeah, teach them what is safe and what is not. But for those moms who go all out and lock everything and baby-proof everything, you know, if they want to be that super-cautious, good for them! I certainly do not criticize them for it. I don't think it means they don't watch their kids or teach them about dangers, it just means they are really really careful. I have no problem with that.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 3:13 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• With my twins especially, I baby-proofed. With 2 headed in different directions, I couldn't be there at every turn to prevent a tragedy. If I had kids one at a time, I think I would have done less of it. My lower kitchen cabinets will always have child latches. Until the pet stores sell them to prevent cats from opening cabinets and climbing inside, I will use kid ones. I know of no way to teach cats it's not OK to curl up in my pots or next to my cereal boxes for a nap.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:23 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• i baby proofed. I covered sockets, put poisens locked up. baby gate on stairs. knives put away. lit candles up high. you cannot watch your children litterally ALL the time. never know when a curious tot is going to do something stupid in a flash of seconds (like while you are on the potty?). But i don't go overboard. there are not padding around my glass tables. breakables are left out and taught not to touch. my house doesn't look baby proofed, it looks normal, but the obvious dangers are 'hidden away'.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:31 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I baby proofed my home. I will not be around my children every second of every day, and I would rather not risk them being injured. If I can prevent an injury, I will. That's not to say that baby proofing takes the place of teaching, people who baby proof can also teach their children the dangers of certain things.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 3:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• i do some, meds are kept up high, i keep the bathroom door closed, gate on the stairs, and cleaning supplies put away. oh and i have corner guards on the coffee table. thats it, i try to do outlet covers but my hubby will take them off to plug something in and lose them. i pretty much do the common sense stuff, thankfully only my youngest is interested in doing anything that would require baby proofing, so i just put that stuff in a room with no lights and its safe. and all my breakable stuff is kept high because with 4 kids that run around the house and a hubby that loves rough housing it was just safer (is it bad i have to hubby proof the knick knacks though? lol)
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 8:49 AM on Jun. 30, 2011