People today taking marriage too lightly..

IMO i think pple today are taking marriage way to lightly. I am a very devout born again christian and i am against the prospect of divorce (except under extenuating circumstances like violence). The bible says that we can divorce but we shouldnt because we force ourselves and our ex SO into adultery if we marry again. I feel that pple today are taking marriage way too lightly. Its not often you get to see a long marriage like our grandparents had in todays relationships. What happened to valuing our SO and sticking by them through thick and thin? And what is the deal with a pre-nup. i feel that a pre-nup is just asking for a divorce.. Ok CM let me hear your opinions!

MonkeyMommyNJ

Asked by MonkeyMommyNJ at 4:27 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• i agree with you 100%! i too am a born-again follower of Christ and i have had (and still do have) a lot to learn about life, love, God and His word, etc. and from what i've learned just over the last 3 years (give or take a year) is that we needed to have developed a relationship with God FIRST before getting married and growing a family. it is with the Lord that we will learn how to treat our mate and how to deal with life in general. and as for pre-nups and divorce, you are so right! i use to think that pre-nups were a good thing because it protects the other person's 'assets' in the event of a split up. but i have come to see it the way you do: pre-nup sounds like a divorce before the marriage. we are living in a world that has a alarming rate of divorce, hurt in a marriage and other issues that cause break ups between a husband and a wife...and, it's growing in the church...very scary stuff!
    HappyHmsklNapps

Answer by HappyHmsklNapps at 10:57 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Stupid computer!  It submitted my answer before I was finished.  Talk about love / hate relationships!

Anyway, I was going to say that we will be celebrating our 23rd anniversary in 9 days.  When we said till death do us part, we meant it!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:48 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I agree.  I think divorce is to easy to obtain.  I also think that the Victorian attitude towards sex is responsible for a lot of divorces.  Young people are pressured into marriage (when they aren't ready for) because they want to have sex and have been taught that is is wrong outside of marriage, which it is not.

My husband and I are atheists, so we don't follow the teachings of the bible, however we do take our marriage and our vows very seriously.  We

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:45 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Marriage is first and foremost a legal contract. It's great that your religion has certain beliefs about marriage, but that only applies to people of your religion, not to everyone who gets married. It makes no difference to me personally if someone is married for 50 years or 50 days. And regarding previous generations that would stay married, a large percentage of those marriages were very unhappy, usually for the woman. To me, it's more heartbreaking to think of someone trapped for decades in an unhappy, possibly abusive relationship merely because society dictates they stay. A wasted life is no blessing.
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 9:56 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I think people definitely take it too lightly these days. I am only 22 and i take it seriously. I don't ever want to get divorced so i am waiting awhile for marriage. My parents got divorced after only 3 years of marriage. I don't want to make that mistake.
    vsweeney

Answer by vsweeney at 4:48 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I think a lot of people (girls at least) spend so much of their lives looking forward to a wedding and thinking about finding "the one" that they don't think much beyond that. Being married is a lot of work, it's a big commitment. My husband and I just celebrated our 4 year wedding anniversary (the 28th), and even though we got married quite young (20) we both know we're in this for the long haul. We wouldn't have gotten married any other way (we have a long history, lol, going back to 6th grade). My husband saw a lot of his family getting married and divorced over and over (MIL has been married five times, though we both think she just wanted someone to help her take care of the kids), and that really had an effect on him, he's even more convinced that he needs to get it right the first time. We both take it very seriously.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:32 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I believe in sticking with it through thick and thin, but sometimes when the love goes and the relationship turns sour it is best to go your separate ways.

Answer by older at 8:39 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I agree with you. People today definitely take marriage too lightly! My DH and I took our vows very seriously, and neither of us believe in divorce unless there is violence or some other extenuating circumstance.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:09 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I think alot of you are right. It's alot of different issues, not just one problem why our divorce rate is so high and some people get into & out of marriages like they buy cars sometimes. I don't believe that youngsters wanting to save themselves for marriage & hurry and get married so they can have sex though. If that were the case, we wouldn't have such a high teen /unwed preg rate here. They are not waiting, getting preg, getting married (some of the time) & finding that even that doesn't make it a fairy tale marriage. When they are 5yrs down the road, they are a little more grown up & are not same person they were. That's only part of the population though. Older people get divorced too. It's not just 1 problem, it's a whole array of issues. We just live in a "me" society pretty much & that out-weighs old fashioned values. Many people today think marriage vows are antiquated & may not say til death.

KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 2:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Pre-Nuptial Agreement--n.A written agreement between two people who are about to get married.It states the list of their assets,liabilities,authority over each other's property,how their earnings and savings will be used and if the marriage does not last how would the property get divided and alimony be paid.This is common in people who are earning huge amount of money,have lots of property,got married before, have children from earlier marriage etc
    http://www.legal-explanations.com/definitions/prenuptial-agreement.htm
    A pre-nup is saying I want to marry you but I'm not losing any of my net worth if it doesn't work out. It's the "me" factor again. IMO. To me in a way right up front it says 'this may not work and if it doesn't I don't trust you and you're not getting what I've earned over time".
    That's just my opinion of it though.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 2:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2011