Homeschooling...and other touchy subjects regarding MY kids, why get so concerned?

what i mean is this: as long as my (or other) babies are being loved, protected as much as God gives us strength to do, care for, provided for, nurtured and all that other jazz, why does it matter where my kids get educated? why does it matter if i spank my kids? why does it matter if my kids get vaccinated or not? why get so caught up in what i do in my household if no one is being hurt, harmed or being put into danger?

HappyHmsklNapps

Asked by HappyHmsklNapps at 5:24 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• I agree with you 100%
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 5:33 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• If no one is being hurt, harmed or being put into danger, you are right, I wouldn't care. Not all of the things you have listed, IMHO as well as the the opinion of 'the experts', fall into that category though.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 6:30 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Because Cafemom is filled with a bunch of unhappy bored women who have nothing better to do than attack other women for their beliefs. :)
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 7:01 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Because certain people feel that the way they parent is the only acceptable way to do it. Just ignore em..that's what I do anymore.
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 7:24 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I have this saying what bob down the street eats does not make me sh&* so why do I care? Outside of human caring I am too busy running my own ship.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:29 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• For most of it I don't care. For the education - since they will grow up to vote, I kind of do want them educated, but it's the level of education that concerns me, not the method. Non-vaccination does put other kids at risk, so I can see why that could be an issue.

Mostly, I just think people need re-assurance that their decisions were "correct". Someone deciding differently means that one party has done something "wrong" - and it clearly can't be "them", so they go on the attack to show the other decision to be wrong.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:34 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I agree!! I homeschool my kids and it blows my mind how people think they have the right to interrogate my kids and I about it!! How would all those parents whose children go to public school like it if I said things like " Why do you send your kids to public school? What about socialization? Isn't that illegal? I could NEVER do that!!"

How I choose to educate MY CHILDREN is MY BUSINESS!! Don't like it? Not my problem!!! As my Grandma Lizzie used to say, "Build a bridge and get over it!!" Your decision to send your kids to public school doesn't affect MY life, so my decision to homeschool shouldn't affect yours. Get a hobby if you're that bored.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:55 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• The only thing you mentioned that I would have issues with is vaccination because if your unvaccinated child contracts measels and plays in a public park during the period while the virus is shedding but no symptoms are showing and my too-young-to-be-vaccinated baby plays in the sandbox and ends up dying of measels because you didn't vaccinate your child, that absolutely is my buisness.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 8:39 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• This is not directed at you personally...but when I hear about a homeschooling, non vaccinating, spanking home I normally assume they are religious people who might put more emphasis on the bible than the education. That's just me. Being honest. About what I would think.
    MamaMia9999

Answer by MamaMia9999 at 10:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• @MamaMia9999...i can see your point...and by the by, we are a Christain household! but, while we do discuss and use the bible as part of the homeschool plan, i place an emphasis on both God and education. i (unlike some other homeschool parents) would be okay with my kids pursuing college and career...i just want it to be made clear that GOD must come first, and in public school and some private schools (even some 'catholic/christian' schools), this isn't taught or emphasized. heck, some churches put more emphasis on the pursuit of money and 'things' than pursuing God, so i'm not fooled by everyone that 'claims' God (know what i mean?). in terms of the vaccines, i'm still on the 'fence' about that one...my 3 have gotten them, thus far, but i'm concerned about what they get...i was just curious as to why some other moms get sooooo upset when they hear about what other moms AREN'T doing.
    HappyHmsklNapps

Comment by HappyHmsklNapps (original poster) at 11:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2011