How do you devide the chores in your house?

it seems like I am doing all the chores-except cleaning the kids' rooms...even my DH s a slob and i have to clean up after him too or else this house would be trashed all the time...my kids are 10-8-4 so how would i devide the chores up between them and me so it doesnt seem like anyone is getting too much or not enough?

poobear5

Asked by poobear5 at 8:50 AM on Dec. 15, 2008 in General Parenting

• Well I have four children 12-9-5-1. I try to make sure that they are age appropriate chores. My 12yr old does the dishes. Loads and unloads the dishwasher. My 9 year old and 5 year old share chores. They take out the trash in all the rooms of the house. They empty garbage from the rest rooms and the kitchen bedrooms. I also make them clean up there own room. Pick up after themselves whereever they are in the house. If I see that they aren't listening and doing there chores when they are suppose to I take away privileges. Hope that helps. When my husband is home (military) he does the outside stuff and he loves to do the laundry (he is better than me at but don't tell him that)!!
    luchousdiva

Answer by luchousdiva at 9:18 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• My husband does the vacuuming because I have a bad back. He does all yard work and car upkeep. He also cleans the litter boxes and takes out the trash and compost. He usually loads the dishwasher. I do all other inside cleaning, the cooking and shopping, I wash the dishes that don't go in the dishwasher. I do the laundry, feed the cats. For many things, whoever notices that it needs to be done, does it. Sometimes I do, sometimes he does.
    When the children were home, anything that a child could do was assigned to them. From 4 up they could take out compost. They could clean their rooms. The older children could take out the trash. All could load the dishwasher. They could fold at least their own laundry and put it away. They helped with yard work. fed the cats. sometimes hand-washed dishes. Make their beds.

Answer by Bmat at 8:59 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• We are equal all the way. If I need him to do laundry then he does (although truth be told that can be rather dangerous) or if I need to be the one to do a particular chore then I do it. We both are equally involved in child care. About the only thing I do not do is paying bills. That is because I have a learning disorder that interferes with my ability to correctly do math. Numbers are hard and I often reverse or see them in a different way than other people. So for the sake of being financially responsible, he does that. But I know where we stand with money and I know where everything is kept in case of an emergency.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:09 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Here, my DH goes to work and I do everything else. He will take the trash from time to time but that's about it. I feel like I have 3 children most days.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 5:16 PM on Dec. 15, 2008