How can I get my female cat to quit peeing in my house when she is in heat?

I am planning to get her spayed, but it will take me some time. I found out it will cost more in gas to take her to the clinic to get the spay for half price, than it will to pay full price at the vet's down the street. So, I have to build up that money. How can I get her to quit peeing in the house when she is in heat until I can get her spayed? She is litter trained, but whenever she goes into heat, she pees in my clothes hamper or even a basket of freshly washed and dried clothes (she literally climbed in it and squatted while I was folding clothes out of it). I just need something that will keep her from doing this long enough for me to get the money to spay her.

Asked by Nicollynne at 1:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Pets

• Goodness, I'm surely glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Especially the crying ALL NIGHT. I thought our kitten was just the most annoying out there, but apparently it's all of 'em. LOL! I heard that cats don't like citrus smells. We used it with our furniture and Christmas tree and it worked. So maybe putting a little citrus detergent or something in the laundry and using Citrus Fabreeze for the carpets will help. It's kind of helping us. :)

Answer by Jaimynsfire at 6:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I'm right there with you, I need to get my cat spayed as will but don't have the money right now and she pees ever where and crys all night grrrrrr there is nothing to really do, I put her in her cat care when she pees somewhere and at night it helps with her crying all night

Answer by st_tinkerbell at 1:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Is that the only time she pees out of her box? I ask because if cats are sick, it changes the smell of their urine and they fon't like it, so they won't use their box. Maybe being in heat changes the smell too? I would say to try your best to eliminate the piles of clothes so she isn't as tempted. If she is peeing in corners or closets...I read you can put aluminum foil in those spots to deter them. They don't like the noise or the feeling under their paws...

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I wish you luck with that. It took me a while to pull the money together for our cat and once she healed up after surgery- right back to peeing everywhere.

Answer by emhain at 1:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• They do make a diaper-sort of thing for dogs in heat and I'm sure they come small enough for cats. Is it only when she's in heat? Could you confine her for that time, so it's only in a certain area? In the meantime, Nature's Miracle works well on urine.

Answer by GwynCat at 2:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I would try to get her fix as soon as you can. This can become a behavioral problem.  It can get to were they are use to peeing out of the box and will continue to do so after they are spayed.  Until then confine her to one room of the house and buy a second litter box so she has two to use. Good luck

Answer by T.W. at 2:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Wow - what perfect timing - I have the exact same problem. What I've wondered and noticed is she will pee on my sons clothes when he throws them on the floor. I assume it must have the male scent. I don't know - just a guess. I also am amazed at her will - she will mount my other cats (like a male) and go to town. Go figure. She will poop in her litter box and still pees in it but she usually christens the floor.
    Good luck and I hope to read the answers too.....Kathy

Answer by pistons58 at 5:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Try feliway spray and see if it helps. Also there are homeopathic medications for anxiety you could try. Getting her spayed as soon as possible is important because the more she does the abnormal behavior the more likely she is to continue the behavior even after she is spayed.

Answer by Ruffian at 9:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2008